What are the correct answers to this Equipotential Contours Homework statement?

In summary: CorrectIn summary, number 2 is the largest magnitude charge and it has the largest electrical potential.
badd99

Homework Statement

BYvUL.png

2. Relevant thoughts

Here, I numbered them down and put why I though those answers were what I have above

1- since 0V, its PE is zero
2- Closest contour lines, largest charge
3- Q1 is farther back from 0v, making it the largest negative
4- above 0V so it has a positive PE
5- Past 0V so its a positive charge
6- I has a higher electrical potential since its closer tot he positive charge

The Attempt at a Solution

You can see my attempt above...im really not sure at all what one is wrong, and why?

Homework Statement

2. NOT correct

T
F
T
T
T
F
--------

T
T
F
T
T
F
--------

T
F
F
T
T
F

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
State why you gave the answers that you did so we can help you.

SammyS said:
State why you gave the answers that you did so we can help you.

Wrote them above.

You say #2 is the largest magnitude charge, which ignores signs. This part looks right. But another one is not. Look at the sign of q2 again...

MrNerd said:
You say #2 is the largest magnitude charge, which ignores signs. This part looks right. But another one is not. Look at the sign of q2 again...

even if number three was true, its still not all right?

badd99 said:
even if number three was true, its still not all right?

It looks like it should be. I don't see any errors that stick out at the moment. If you want to be really sure, you could wait for some other people to give their opinion.

I know its not right because with it marked true, it was my very first response (the above answers with 3 being true.) I thought that was right to begin with but its not.

How is the potential energy of a charged particle related to the particle's charge and the electric potential at the particle's location?

Which number is lower, 2 or 3 ?

SOLVED! Thanks!

What are equipotential contours?

Equipotential contours, also known as equipotential lines, are imaginary lines that represent points of equal potential in a given electric field. They are perpendicular to the electric field lines and illustrate how potential changes in a given area.

How are equipotential contours related to electric fields?

Equipotential contours are always perpendicular to electric field lines. This means that they intersect the electric field lines at right angles. The closer together the lines are, the stronger the electric field is in that particular area.

What do equipotential contours look like?

Equipotential contours can take on various shapes depending on the electric field. In a uniform electric field, they will appear as straight, parallel lines. In a non-uniform electric field, they will be curved and closer together in areas of higher potential.

How can equipotential contours be used in scientific research?

Equipotential contours are used to map out electric fields and understand the flow of electrical energy. They are also used in conducting experiments and designing circuits to ensure that the electric field is evenly distributed and that there are no areas of high potential that could lead to damage.

What are some real-life applications of equipotential contours?

Equipotential contours have a variety of applications in everyday life. They are used in designing electrical circuits, creating lightning rods to protect buildings from lightning strikes, and in medical procedures such as electrocardiograms (ECG) to map out the electrical activity of the heart.