What are the equations for a line in 3-space passing through two given points?

• Thread starter Buzzlastyear
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lines
In summary, the vector equation for the line through Q(2, -1, 3) and the mid-point of the line segment from L(3, -2, 5) to M(1, 4, -7) is r= (2,-1,3) + t(0,2,-4). The parametric equations are x=2, y=-1+2t, z=3-4t, and the symmetric equations are x=2, (y+1)/2, (z-3)/-4 and x=2, (y+1)/2, (3-z)/4.
Buzzlastyear

Homework Statement

Determine vector, parametric and, if possible, symmetric equations for the line through Q(2, -1, 3) and the mid-point of the line segment from L(3, -2, 5) to M(1, 4, -7).

Homework Equations

Midpoint equation=( (x1+x2)/2, (y1+y2)/2, (z1+z2)/2)

The Attempt at a Solution

Midpoint of LM = (2,1,-1)

To find the direction vector I'm assuming i must find vector QLM(subscript midpoint)?

(2,1,-1) - (2,-1,3) = (0,2,-4)

Vector equation: r= (2,-1,3) + t(0,2,-4)

Parametric equations:

x=2, y=-1+2t, z=3-4t

Symmetric equations:

x=2; (y+1)/2, (z-3)/-4

x=2; (y+1)/2, (3-z)/4

Those are my answers but I'm not sure if my procedure is correct, any help is much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your solution looks fine.

Related to What are the equations for a line in 3-space passing through two given points?

1. What is the equation of a line in 3-space?

In 3-dimensional space, a line can be described by a set of 3 parametric equations, where each equation represents the coordinates of a point on the line as a function of a parameter t. The general form of a line in 3-space is (x,y,z) = (x0,y0,z0) + t(a,b,c), where (x0,y0,z0) is a known point on the line and (a,b,c) is the direction vector.

2. How do you find the direction vector of a line in 3-space?

The direction vector of a line in 3-space can be found by taking two points on the line and finding the vector that connects them. The vector can be calculated by subtracting the coordinates of the first point from the coordinates of the second point. This vector will give the direction of the line.

3. Can a line in 3-space be described by a single equation?

No, a line in 3-space cannot be described by a single equation. In 3-dimensional space, a line requires at least two equations to be fully described, as there are three variables (x,y,z) that need to be accounted for.

4. How do you determine if two lines in 3-space are parallel?

Two lines in 3-space are parallel if their direction vectors are parallel. This means that the two lines have the same slope and will never intersect. To determine if two direction vectors are parallel, you can take the cross product of the two vectors and see if the resulting vector is equal to the zero vector.

5. What is the shortest distance between two skew lines in 3-space?

The shortest distance between two skew lines in 3-space can be found by calculating the distance between the closest pair of points, one on each line. This can be done by finding the perpendicular distance from one line to the other. The shortest distance can also be found by taking the cross product of the direction vectors of the two lines and dividing it by the magnitude of the cross product of the two direction vectors.