What are the equations for solving combined circuit problems?

In summary: How To Solve Circuit Problems.It will help you a lot.In summary, the student is trying to solve a homework equation.
j doe

Homework Statement

14jpx0n.jpg

Homework Equations

IR=V
series circuit
Vt = V1 + V2 + V3...
It = I1 = I2 = I3...
Rt = R1 + R2 + R3...

parallel circuit
Vt = V1 = V2 = V3...
It = I1 + I2 + I3...
Rt = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3...

The Attempt at a Solution

i honestly have no idea where to start. may someone pls help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you identify any resistors which are in series and can be combined?

is 2 and 4 in a parallel circuit as well as 3 and 5?

Here is something which helped me a lot when I was solving circuits
"Analyse how he current flows.If you find the same current going into different resistors they are in series,If different current flow flow through them they are in parallel"

sidt36 said:
Here is something which helped me a lot when I was solving circuits
"Analyse how he current flows.If you find the same current going into different resistors they are in series,If different current flow flow through them they are in parallel"
i'm not sure how to tell that apart.

j doe said:
i'm not sure how to tell that apart.
When the current reaches the bottom end of resistor 5, where will it go?

phyzguy said:
When the current reaches the bottom end of resistor 5, where will it go?
back to resistor 1?

j doe said:
back to resistor 1?

No. I mean the bottom end of 5, in the lower right corner. The current flows down through 5, and then where?

phyzguy said:
No. I mean the bottom end of 5, in the lower right corner. The current flows down through 5, and then where?
oh to resistor 4?

j doe said:
oh to resistor 4?

Right. And then when it leaves 4, where does it go?

resistor 3 and when it leaves 3, it goes to 2? and when it leaves 2, it goes to 1?

j doe said:
resistor 3 and when it leaves 3, it goes to 2? and when it leaves 2, it goes to 1?

Not quite. When it leaves 3, there are two places it can go. But, looking at sidt36's post #4, what can you say about 3, 4, and 5?

3, 4, and 5 are parallel to each other. does that mean that 1 and 2 are series?

j doe said:
3, 4, and 5 are parallel to each other

No! Read sidt36's post again.

does that mean that 1 and 2 are series?

No.

phyzguy said:
No!
No.
is it the opposite?

I'm not going to do the problem for you.

phyzguy said:
I'm not going to do the problem for you.
yes, i understand that but i don't get what makes a circuit a series or parallel.

upload_2016-5-26_8-24-15.png

Try making a diagram like this and check where the the current is going

And I hope you don't mind if I ask which grade you are in because this should be pretty trivial for 10th grade student

sidt36 said:
And I hope you don't mind if I ask which grade you are in because this should be pretty trivial for 10th grade student
i am in 10th grade and i recently just learned this

j doe said:

Homework Statement

14jpx0n.jpg
:
:

The Attempt at a Solution

i honestly have no idea where to start. may someone pls help me?
You haven't stated what you are trying to solve for. What do you need to find? What is the actual problem statement?

Well keep practicing

I recommend a video

1. What is a combined circuit problem?

A combined circuit problem refers to a type of electrical circuit that consists of multiple interconnected circuit elements, such as resistors, capacitors, and inductors. These elements are connected in a way that creates a complex circuit with multiple paths for current flow.

2. How do you solve a combined circuit problem?

The first step in solving a combined circuit problem is to identify all the circuit elements and their values. Then, using the principles of Ohm's law and Kirchhoff's laws, you can analyze the circuit to determine the currents and voltages at various points. Finally, you can use these values to calculate the overall resistance, voltage, and current in the circuit.

3. What are the common challenges in solving a combined circuit problem?

One common challenge is dealing with parallel and series connections of circuit elements, which require different mathematical approaches. Another challenge is dealing with non-linear elements, such as diodes and transistors, which can complicate the analysis of the circuit. Additionally, keeping track of the signs and directions of currents and voltages can be tricky.

4. Can software or calculators be used to solve combined circuit problems?

Yes, there are many software programs and online calculators available that can help solve combined circuit problems. These tools use algorithms and mathematical formulas to analyze the circuit and provide the solution. However, it is important to have a good understanding of the underlying principles and concepts to interpret the results accurately.

5. How can combined circuit problems be applied in real-life situations?

Combined circuit problems are commonly encountered in electrical engineering, electronics, and physics. They are used to design and analyze circuits in various applications, such as power distribution, signal processing, and communication systems. Understanding the principles of combined circuit problems is essential for designing efficient and reliable electrical systems.