What are the key steps to solving this beginner circuit problem?

In summary, the conversation revolves around a person asking for help with a beginner problem involving resistors and circuits. The person giving advice cautions them against posting figures sideways and not understanding the basics of series and parallel circuits. They also point out the direction of current indicated in the diagram and ask for the person's work and thoughts on the problem. They also suggest using Kirchhoff's Laws for solving the problem.
yamm14
Homework Statement
I need to find the unknown values but I don’t know when the series circuit stops and the parallel begins
Relevant Equations
V= IR
I calculated the voltage of the resistors

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 118
Physics news on Phys.org
Asking folks for help and then posting the figure sideways to make it hard for them is not a good idea.

Also, if you do not understand the difference between series and parallel circuit parts, and you cannot immediately identify each, then you should stop trying to solve this problem (or any other) and go back and study the basics.

phinds said:
Asking folks for help and then posting the figure sideways to make it hard for them is not a good idea.

Also, if you do not understand the difference between series and parallel circuit parts, and you cannot immediately identify each, then you should stop trying to solve this problem (or any other) and go back and study the basics.
Well, could you just point me in the right direction? I did list this as a beginner problem because I’m still learning the basics.

yamm14 said:
Well, could you just point me in the right direction? I did list this as a beginner problem because I’m still learning the basics.
I DID point you in the right direction. Look, I'm not trying to give you a hard time here but I'm quite serious about what I said. Re-read it.

I'm looking at the apparent directions of the currents indicated in your diagram (the arrow heads on the wires). It's disturbing to me that they seem to indicate electron flow rather than the standard "positive charge flow" convention. Surely the current direction of at least ##I_1## should be clear from the polarities of the voltage sources involved. I hope that this is not a "trick" question where you also have to match the sign of your answers to the given assumed current directions. :frown: That can be a bummer when you're just starting to learn the material.

Can you show us some of your work so far (not just the results on the image, but tell us how you arrived at the values you've found so far)? I only see one resistor potential drop indicated (3 V for ##V_5##). Be sure to sketch in the polarity of any potential drops over components. That will come in very handy when you move forward in the problem.

What can you say about the current through ##r_1##?

For your Homework Equations, should you not also include Kirchhoff's Laws?

1. What is the first step to solving a beginner circuit problem?

The first step to solving a beginner circuit problem is to understand the circuit and its components. This includes identifying the power source, resistors, capacitors, and any other elements in the circuit. It is also important to determine the type of circuit (series, parallel, or combination) to help with the rest of the problem-solving process.

2. How do I simplify a complex circuit problem?

To simplify a complex circuit problem, start by breaking the circuit down into smaller, more manageable sections. Then, use basic circuit laws, such as Ohm's Law, Kirchhoff's Laws, and the power equation, to analyze each section. Finally, combine the results to solve the overall circuit problem.

3. What tools should I use to solve a beginner circuit problem?

The most commonly used tools for solving a beginner circuit problem are a pencil, paper, and a scientific calculator. Other helpful tools include a circuit simulator, multimeter, and breadboard. These tools can help with drawing circuit diagrams, performing calculations, and testing the circuit.

4. How do I check my answer for a beginner circuit problem?

To check your answer for a beginner circuit problem, use a circuit simulator or a multimeter to test the circuit. Compare the results with your calculated values to ensure they are consistent. If they are not, review your calculations and troubleshoot any errors.

5. How can I improve my problem-solving skills for circuit problems?

To improve your problem-solving skills for circuit problems, practice regularly and review basic circuit concepts and laws. It can also be helpful to work with others and discuss different approaches to solving circuit problems. Additionally, utilizing online resources and tutorials can provide additional practice and tips for solving circuit problems.