What are the roots of the characteristic equation 2m^2 + (1-1)m - 1 = 0?

In summary, the conversation focuses on solving a specific differential equation using the Euler-Cauchy method. The participants discuss the use of the characteristic equation and how to determine the roots. The conversation also touches on the advantages of using substitution rather than a formula for the characteristic equation.
ryan8888

Homework Statement

Solve: 2x2y" + xy' - y = 3x4

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know this is a Euler Cauchy solution because of the x2 before the y" in the ODE.

I try to solve the characteristic equation m2 +(a-1)m + b = 0

I get 2m2 + (1-1)m - 1 =0 or 2m2 - 1 = 0

What I tried was:

2(m2-1) = 0
So one root would be m = 1

But I still don't think that is the correct solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Your characteristic equation is wrong. Instead of plugging into some formula, try substituting y = xm into your DE and get the correct characteristic equation for yourself.

Okay thanks. I didn't realize that you couldn't just simply utilize that formula for the characteristic equation.

So I took y = xm and found its derivatives:

y' = mxm-1
y" = m(m-1)xm-2

Substituting them into my original ODE and simplifying I obtain the following characteristic equation:

2m2 - m - 1 = 0

This is from an old test I've been practicing on. Is that the correct characteristic equation?

LCKurtz said:
Your characteristic equation is wrong. Instead of plugging into some formula, try substituting y = xm into your DE and get the correct characteristic equation for yourself.

ryan8888 said:
Okay thanks. I didn't realize that you couldn't just simply utilize that formula for the characteristic equation.

So I took y = xm and found its derivatives:

y' = mxm-1
y" = m(m-1)xm-2

Substituting them into my original ODE and simplifying I obtain the following characteristic equation:

2m2 - m - 1 = 0

This is from an old test I've been practicing on. Is that the correct characteristic equation?

Correct. And much more reliable than trying to remember another formula. :cool:

LCKurtz said:
Correct. And much more reliable than trying to remember another formula. :cool:

Okay 1 final question. When I go to determine my roots what is the best way to handle the 2m^2? Is it the same as saying two numbers that multiply to -2 and add to -1. So my roots are m = 2 and m = -1?

And I agree the y = x^m method is significantly easier to deal with!

Thanks

ryan8888 said:
Okay 1 final question. When I go to determine my roots what is the best way to handle the 2m^2? Is it the same as saying two numbers that multiply to -2 and add to -1. So my roots are m = 2 and m = -1?

And I agree the y = x^m method is significantly easier to deal with!

Thanks

Oh my...here you are in differential equations and are asking how to solve a quadratic equation? Factor it. Or failing that, use the quadratic formula.

Related to What are the roots of the characteristic equation 2m^2 + (1-1)m - 1 = 0?

What is the EUuer Cauchy Equation Roots?

The EUuer Cauchy Equation Roots, also known as the EUER equation, is a mathematical equation that is used to find the roots of a polynomial function. It is named after mathematicians Leonhard Euler and Augustin-Louis Cauchy who contributed to its development.

How is the EUuer Cauchy Equation Roots used?

This equation is used to solve for the roots of a polynomial function by setting it equal to 0 and then using algebraic manipulations to find the values of the variable that make the equation true.

What are the properties of the EUuer Cauchy Equation Roots?

The EUuer Cauchy Equation Roots has the following properties:

• It can only be used for polynomial functions with real coefficients
  • The number of roots is equal to the degree of the polynomial
  • It can be used to find both real and complex roots
  • It can be applied to both monic and non-monic polynomials

What is the difference between the EUuer Cauchy Equation Roots and other root-finding methods?

The EUuer Cauchy Equation Roots is a direct root-finding method, meaning it uses algebraic manipulations to solve for the roots. Other methods, such as the Newton-Raphson method, use iterative processes to approximate the roots.

Can the EUuer Cauchy Equation Roots be used for all types of polynomial functions?

Yes, the EUuer Cauchy Equation Roots can be used for all types of polynomial functions as long as they have real coefficients. It is a general method for finding the roots of polynomials and does not have any restrictions based on the degree or type of polynomial.