What are the unexpected aspects of cosmology?

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cosmology
In summary, "Cosmology and the Unexpected" is a review paper that discusses some of the key problems in the standard model of cosmology, with a focus on dark energy, dark matter, and inflation. The author presents entertaining and thought-provoking insights on these topics, including the comparison of the anthropic principle to "duct tape." Ultimately, the paper highlights the ongoing search for a deeper understanding of the universe and reminds us that there is still much to discover.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
arXiv:0709.3102 [ps, pdf, other]
Title: Cosmology and the Unexpected
Authors: Edward W. Kolb
Comments: Two lectures presented at the International School of Subnuclear Physics, "Searching for the 'totally unexpected' in the LHC era," Erice, Italy 2007
Subjects: Astrophysics (astro-ph)
In these two lectures I will discuss some outstanding problems in the standard model of cosmology, concentrating on the physics that might be related to the title of this school, ``Searching for the totally unexpected in the LHC era.'' In particular, I will concentrate on dark energy, dark matter, and inflation.

Space news on Phys.org
http://arxiv.org/abs/0709.3102

I was about to mention this paper, but thought I'd do a search first. It's quite a readable review paper which is (dare I say it) amusing in some places. There's no new material in it, but I guess that's since the paper is a summary of two lectures that the author gave at a summer school.

The paper starts with a brief overview of the standard model of cosmology, then goes on to discuss dark energy; renaming the cosmological constant the cosmoillogical constant. Another "interesting" point he makes is in comparing the anthropic principle to "duct tape"-- namely that, like duct tape, the anthropic argument ties up loose ends in a theory, but not necessarily in a permanent or elegant way! The rest of the first section is given to different ways of measuring variables in order to determine what dark energy is.

In the second part of the paper, the author discusses dark matter, identifying possible candidates for what dark matter actually is, focussing mainly on WIMPS and cold dark matter. Finally, he briefly discusses inflation and a few different models of inflation based on scalar fields with different characteristics.

Anyway, the paper is quite an entertaining read, if you like that sort of thing. Finally, a quote from the paper, which in turn came (in a different guise) from Einstein: Nothing more can be done by the theorists. In this matter it is only you, the astronomers, who can perform a simply invaluable service to theoretical physics. But, as one of my fellow students commented, it doesn't bode well for our future job prospects!

The universe is far too devious to yield its secrets so easily. Our descendants will someday characterize our primitive views as the 'Einsteinian' universe.

1. What is cosmology?

Cosmology is the study of the origin, evolution, and structure of the universe as a whole. It combines principles from physics, astronomy, and mathematics to understand the fundamental nature of the universe.

2. How has our understanding of cosmology changed over time?

Our understanding of cosmology has changed significantly over time as new observations and discoveries have been made. In the past, cosmology was heavily influenced by religious and philosophical beliefs. However, with the development of modern scientific methods, our understanding has become more evidence-based and has led to the development of theories such as the Big Bang theory.

3. What are some unexpected discoveries in cosmology?

One of the most unexpected discoveries in cosmology is the existence of dark matter and dark energy. These invisible substances make up the majority of the universe and have a significant impact on its structure and evolution. Other unexpected discoveries include the accelerating expansion of the universe and the existence of supermassive black holes at the center of galaxies.

4. How does cosmology relate to other fields of science?

Cosmology is closely related to other fields of science, such as astronomy, physics, and mathematics. It uses principles and methods from these fields to study the universe and its origins. Cosmology also has implications for other areas of science, such as particle physics and the study of the early universe.

5. What is the significance of studying cosmology?

Studying cosmology helps us gain a deeper understanding of our place in the universe and how it came to be. It also has practical applications, such as helping us understand the origins of the universe and the laws of physics that govern it. Additionally, studying cosmology has led to technological advancements, such as the development of satellite technology and space exploration.