What are the units for the two photon LIF signal?

In summary, the units for the two photon LIF signal S are #/cm3*unitless*unitless*unitless*photons2 to photons4*unitless*(cm4*s). The units for the cross section σ are (length)^2, typically given in units such as barn. The units of S can vary depending on whether conversions for photons, counts, or electrons are applied. The tabulated values for the two photon cross section are typically in units of cm4*s. The seconds may be a result of a power being multiplied rather than energy.
Mr Boom
Hello. I was hoping someone could help me understand some units. In several papers, I have seen the two photon LIF signal written as:

S = n*(Ω/4π)*T*G*σ*(E/hv)^2*η*a

where the units are

n (density of measured atom): #/cm3
Ω/4π (solid angle fraction): unitless
T (optical transmission fraction): unitless
G (statistical factor): unitless
E/hv (total photons): photons2 to photons4
η (detector conversion): unitless

So that leaves σ, which I've only seen defined in cm4*s. However, that leaves cm on top as well as square photons, which doesn't make sense. What am I not getting?

Physics news on Phys.org
E should be an energy

hv should proabably be [itex]h \nu = \hbar \omega[/itex] which is also an energy, so the fraction is unitless.

Yes, the fraction has no units. It's just a large number. Thanks.

Any idea about the x-section units?

Normally cross sections are given in (length)^2, e.g. barn

I am not quite sure what units S is supposed to have.

The units of S can be photons, counts, or electrons depending if you put those conversions in. This is a two photon cross section so the tabulated values I see are cm4*s. Not sure where the seconds come from unless it is supposed to be multiplied by a power rather than energy.

Related to What are the units for the two photon LIF signal?

1. What is a two photon cross section?

A two photon cross section is a measure of the probability of two photons interacting with each other. It is commonly used in the field of quantum optics to describe the likelihood of two photons interacting in a particular way.

2. How is the two photon cross section calculated?

The two photon cross section is calculated by taking the square of the product of the individual cross sections for each photon. This calculation takes into account the polarization and direction of the photons.

3. What factors affect the value of the two photon cross section?

The value of the two photon cross section can be affected by the energy of the photons, the properties of the materials they are interacting with, and the angle between the two photons. Other factors such as temperature and pressure can also play a role.

4. What are some applications of the two photon cross section?

The two photon cross section has many applications in fields such as microscopy, spectroscopy, and quantum computing. It is also used in the study of materials and their interactions with light.

5. Can the two photon cross section be changed?

Yes, the two photon cross section can be altered by changing the properties of the materials or by manipulating the photons themselves. By adjusting the angle, energy, or polarization of the photons, the two photon cross section can be modified.