What are you reading now? (STEM only)

• Other
  • Thread starter Demystifier
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reading
  • Featured
In summary, D. J. Tritton's "Physical Fluid Dynamics" is a book that he likes for its structure, beginning with phenomenology before delving into the equations. He also likes the book for its inclusion of experimental results throughout. He recently read J. MacCormick's "Nine Algorithms That Changed the Future" and found it to be very readable. Lastly, he is reading S. Weinberg's "Gravitation and Kosmologie" and Zee's "Gravitation".
I was reading Shankar Quantum Mechanics but I had to take it back to the library.
Now I am browsing Whittaker, Analytical Dynamics, and also Torge, Geodesy.

Physics news on Phys.org
Penrose's The Road to Reality. I am enjoying the contents a lot, but distracted by way too many typos, like this:

1707851787361.png

Likes Demystifier
Hill said:
Penrose's The Road to Reality. I am enjoying the contents a lot, but distracted by way too many typos, like this:

View attachment 340296
My speling is terrible, you have to tell me what the typos are.

martinbn said:
My speling is terrible, you have to tell me what the typos are.
##gab## instead of ##g_{ab}##

Likes PhDeezNutz
Hill said:

I was tempted to say you are quibbling but I don’t think you are. Lower vs upper indices are important to distinguish and if it’s all in one line it’s ambiguous.

Likes Hill
Hill said:
That wasn't obvious to you and distracted you! I only saw it because i reread the sentence a few times looking for typos.

Hill said:
it wasn't obvious to you and distracted you true

Hill said:

View attachment 340296
It's the metric of a theory which is invariant w.r.t. upper and lower indices :P

haushofer said:
It's the metric of a theory which is invariant w.r.t. upper and lower indices :P
No, it's metric in a general (pseudo) Riemannian geometry.

Hill said:

View attachment 340296
I suspect that most of the "typos" are not typos in the printed book, but rather result of bad conversion of the book to Kindle version. Here is another of many examples:

1708087830875.png

I don't think there supposed to be empty boxes.

Likes Demystifier
Hill said:
I suspect that most of the "typos" are not typos in the printed book, but rather result of bad conversion of the book to Kindle version. Here is another of many examples:

View attachment 340405
I'm definitely done with buying math and physics books for kindle. In most cases, it's a useless scumbag. I don't understand why Amazon didn't stop doing this a long time ago.

Likes Demystifier
Frimus said:
I'm definitely done with buying math and physics books for kindle. In most cases, it's a useless scumbag. I don't understand why Amazon didn't stop doing this a long time ago.
My experience differs. I am glad they didn't stop, for many reasons.

Sears and Zemansky's university physics 14e... it seems I am the only David here between so many Goliaths *_*
BTW it seems I will take a lot of time studying it.

Hill said:
No, it's metric in a general (pseudo) Riemannian geometry.
I know. I tried to make a joke and failed.

Likes Demystifier and Hill
haushofer said:
No, no, we got it. It was a good one.

• Care
Likes haushofer
haushofer said:
I see. Sorry.

No hard feelings. My kids also never laugh about my science jokes. Maybe when they turn 4 this year.

• Care
Likes Demystifier
A few books on my part:
  1. Vector Calculus by P. C. Matthews
  2. A Course of Modern Analysis by Whittaker, Watson and Moll
  3. Mathematical Methods for Physics and Engineering by Riley, Hobson and Bence
  4. Mathematical Methods for Physicists: a concise introduction by Tai L. Chow
  5. Classical Mechanics by Tai L. Chow
I am studying 8 hours per day to prepare for my upcoming PhD program and this is the first block of study...

Likes Demystifier and PhDeezNutz
Hill said:

View attachment 340405
What is the page of this part of the text and the first one that you provided. I have the first edition of the book (I have been away from physics for more than a decade so I don't know if they were any posterior editions and/or reprinting) so that I can check if these typos are there

Likes Hill
ateixeira said:
What is the page of this part of the text and the first one that you provided. I have the first edition of the book (I have been away from physics for more than a decade so I don't know if they were any posterior editions and/or reprinting) so that I can check if these typos are there
The first one is on p. 320, near the end of chapter 14.7. The second, p.385, the last paragraph of chapter 17.1.
I doubt that page numbers in the Kindle and printed versions correspond.

Hill said:
The first one is on p. 320, near the end of chapter 14.7. The second, p.385, the last paragraph of chapter 17.1.
I doubt that page numbers in the Kindle and printed versions correspond.
Thank you. I've checked and both of them are correctly printed in the book version. The second type of error appears due to the mathematical symbols he is using, which might not be supported on kindle.

ateixeira said:
Thank you. I've checked and both of them are correctly printed in the book version. The second type of error appears due to the mathematical symbols he is using, which might not be supported on kindle.
Thank you for confirming. This is an unusually bad Kindle edition.

Likes PhDeezNutz and ateixeira
ateixeira said:
A few books on my part:
I am studying 8 hours per day to prepare for my upcoming PhD program and this is the first block of study...

ateixeira said:

I must commend you for returning to physics after 10 years. Good luck on your qualifiers, studies, and research.

I hope to do the same some day.

PhDeezNutz said:
I must commend you for returning to physics after 10 years. Good luck on your qualifiers, studies, and research.

I hope to do the same some day.
You know the passion of Physics never let me alone during those years. Fortunately I was able to get some financial stability and now I am returning to my life long dream. I hope that one day you can do the same.

Likes haushofer and PhDeezNutz
ateixeira said:
A few books on my part:
I see you have a lot of mathematical methods so I'll recommend this youtube series as I enjoy the lecturer's approach to a lot of topics (although can be hard to hear):

Sadly, he has passed away. He used to have problem sets/solutions on his website but they recently removed access to it. Luckily you can still access them from the waybackmachine here: https://web.archive.org/web/20230711184103/https://inside.mines.edu/~aflourno/MathPhys/511.shtml

I also recommend his Physics X series as it's a good introduction to a lot of fun topics:

Good luck with your studies!

Likes ateixeira
Rereading Gallian's Algebra book in combination with Artin (the chapter dealing with field extensions). May just go cover the sections related to Galois theory again.

Oh and also Simmons Topology, to prepare for Lee's books series on manifolds. It's been a while since I did Topology for its own sake. I think Munkrees would be better than Simmons in this regard, but I let a friend borrow my copy.

romsofia said:
I see you have a lot of mathematical methods so I'll recommend this youtube series as I enjoy the lecturer's approach to a lot of topics (although can be hard to hear):

Sadly, he has passed away. He used to have problem sets/solutions on his website but they recently removed access to it. Luckily you can still access them from the waybackmachine here: https://web.archive.org/web/20230711184103/https://inside.mines.edu/~aflourno/MathPhys/511.shtml

I also recommend his Physics X series as it's a good introduction to a lot of fun topics:

Good luck with your studies!

Thank you for sharing these materials. I will try to check them out after I am finished with the books.
I have a lot of math methods because after I started studying I found out that most of my difficulties are with the math portion of physics. The second block of study material will be more more physics based though.

• Informative
Likes Florian Geyer, romsofia and dextercioby
romsofia said:
Sadly, he has passed away.
I was watching his videos on the Higgs Mechanism and Electroweak symmetry breaking like 3 days ago. I did not know he passed away. That is sad indeed.

decisivedove said:
I was watching his videos on the Higgs Mechanism and Electroweak symmetry breaking like 3 days ago. I did not know he passed away. That is sad indeed.
I saw a couple of minutes in some of his videos after @romsofia shared that link and I must say that I really liked his style.

Welding Metallurgy, by Kou.

Likes PhDeezNutz
Classical Dynamics and its Quantum Analogues by Park

Here’s the toc
IMG_0069.jpegIMG_0068.jpegIMG_0067.jpeg
It’s written at the upperclassman level.

Let us know how you like that book, @Frabjous !

I took a number of classes from Prof Park back in the 1970s. A brilliant guy. His "pop sci" books are mostly slanted towards history of science, very well written and thorough.

Likes Frabjous
gmax137 said:
Let us know how you like that book, @Frabjous !

I took a number of classes from Prof Park back in the 1970s. A brilliant guy. His "pop sci" books are mostly slanted towards history of science, very well written and thorough.
You’ve mentioned his Image of Eternity several times. I’ve ordered a copy.

Frabjous said:
mentioned his Image of Eternity several times
Oops. If I start to tell that story again please let me know. Thanks 🙄

gmax137 said:
Oops. If I start to tell that story again please let me know. Thanks 🙄
Your consistency is what made it attractive, so keep doing it.

• Haha
Likes gmax137 and PhDeezNutz