What book to study to prepare for IT Mathematics?

In summary, if you are looking to brush up on your math skills before starting your university program, there are several good books on Set Theory/Logic, Probability, Functions, Limits & Continuity, and Calculus that you can read. Some recommended titles include "Mathematical Analysis" by Tom M. Apostol, "A First Course in Probability" by Sheldon Ross, "Calculus" by James Stewart, "Set Theory and Logic" by Robert R. Stoll, "Calculus & Its Applications" by Larry J. Goldstein, and "Elementary Differential Equations and Boundary Value Problems" by William E. Boyce and Richard C. DiPrima. These books cover topics such as sets, relations, equivalence relations
john Snow
goging back to university this year and been a while since i was a school so i need to brush up on my maths skills before. was decent at maths at school basically average the program I am going to study includes a course in IT Mathematics. What books do you guys recommend i should be reading before hand?

below is what is going to be covered
Set Theory/Logic.
Sets, relations, equivalence relations and partitions, partial ordering, inverse relations, composition of relations, applications of relations to databases, predicate logic as a language, methods of proof, mathematical induction. Boolean algebra, equivalent boolean expressions..

Probability.
Basic probability to iclude axioms, independent events, conditional probability and some probabilty distributions..

Functions.
Functions as a special case of relations, Injective, surjective and bijective functions, one-sided inverses, inverse functions, polynomials and the remainder theorem. Domain and range of functions. Inequalities..

Limits & Continuity.
Simple finite and infinite limits. Simple tests to establish if piecewise-defined functions are continuous..

Calculus.
Techniques of differentiation (first principles, product, quotient and chain rules) and integration (substitution and integration-by-parts). Curve sketching, optimisation and area under the curve applications..

Physics news on Phys.org
There are many good books available on the topics you have listed above. A few of our favourites are: "Mathematical Analysis" by Tom M. Apostol"A First Course in Probability" by Sheldon Ross "Calculus" by James Stewart "Set Theory and Logic" by Robert R. Stoll "Calculus & Its Applications" by Larry J. Goldstein "Elementary Differential Equations and Boundary Value Problems" by William E. Boyce and Richard C. DiPrima

1. What is the best book to study for IT Mathematics?

There are several great books available for studying IT Mathematics, and the best one for you will depend on your current level of knowledge and the specific topics you need to focus on. Some popular options include "Discrete Mathematics and Its Applications" by Kenneth Rosen, "Concrete Mathematics" by Ronald Graham, Donald Knuth, and Oren Patashnik, and "Introduction to the Theory of Computation" by Michael Sipser.

2. Are there any online resources for studying IT Mathematics?

Yes, there are many online resources available for studying IT Mathematics. Some popular options include Khan Academy, Coursera, and edX. Additionally, many universities and colleges offer free online courses and materials for IT Mathematics.

3. Do I need a strong background in mathematics to study IT Mathematics?

Having a strong background in mathematics can be helpful for studying IT Mathematics, but it is not necessarily required. Some basic knowledge of algebra, calculus, and discrete mathematics is usually sufficient for most IT Mathematics courses.

4. What are the key topics covered in IT Mathematics?

The key topics covered in IT Mathematics may vary depending on the specific course or program, but some common topics include discrete mathematics, algorithms, graph theory, logic, set theory, and probability. It is important to consult the specific course or program curriculum to determine the exact topics that will be covered.

5. How can I effectively study IT Mathematics?

To effectively study IT Mathematics, it is important to have a solid understanding of the basics and to practice regularly. Some tips for effective studying include breaking down complex problems into smaller, more manageable parts, seeking help from professors or tutors when needed, and regularly reviewing and practicing material. It can also be helpful to form study groups with classmates to discuss and work through problems together.