What can be interpreted if mass of product < mass of reactant?

In summary, the speakers discuss the possibility of energy from a reaction being converted into mass, and whether the mass of the products can equal the mass of the reactants. They also touch on the concept of kinetic energy and the potential for scattering in reactions.
songoku
TL;DR Summary
This learning material is high school level

Let say I have a nuclear reaction A + B ##\rightarrow## C + D where total mass of A + B is bigger than C + D. This will mean that there is some mass of A + B that is converted into energy,

If I have another reaction P + Q ##\rightarrow## X + Y where mass of X + Y is bigger than P + Q, what does this mean?
Can I just interpret that some of energy of P + Q (maybe KE) is converted into mass of X + Y?

Another question: is it possible that mass of products = mass of reactants?

Thanks

Likes vanhees71
Physics news on Phys.org
songoku said:
If I have another reaction P + Q ##\rightarrow## X + Y where mass of X + Y is bigger than P + Q, what does this mean?

Can I just interpret that some of energy of P + Q (maybe KE) is converted into mass of X + Y?
Yes, and kinetic energy is the only thing that's available normally.

If you measure precisely enough then different things will never have exactly the same mass, but of course you can have scattering, A+B ##\rightarrow## A+B.

Likes songoku and vanhees71
Thank you very much mfb

Related to What can be interpreted if mass of product < mass of reactant?

1. What does it mean if the mass of the product is less than the mass of the reactant?

If the mass of the product is less than the mass of the reactant, it means that there has been a decrease in the total amount of matter during the chemical reaction. This could be due to the release of gases, evaporation, or the formation of a new substance with a lower mass.

2. Can the mass of the product ever be greater than the mass of the reactant?

Yes, it is possible for the mass of the product to be greater than the mass of the reactant. This can occur in reactions where there is a combination of reactants or the formation of a new substance with a higher mass.

3. How does the conservation of mass law apply in this situation?

The conservation of mass law states that matter cannot be created or destroyed during a chemical reaction. Therefore, the total mass of the reactants should be equal to the total mass of the products, even if the individual masses are different.

4. Are there any exceptions to the rule of mass conservation in chemical reactions?

Yes, there are some exceptions to the rule of mass conservation in chemical reactions. For example, in nuclear reactions, a small amount of mass can be converted into energy according to Einstein's famous equation E=mc^2.

5. How can we determine the mass of the product and reactant in a chemical reaction?

The mass of the product and reactant can be determined by using a balance to measure the mass of each substance before and after the reaction. The difference in mass between the two measurements will give the mass of the product or reactant.