What can I do to fix tooth pain?

• Medical
  • Thread starter SticksandStones
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pain
In summary, the individual's insurance does not cover the cost of removing their wisdom teeth and they are experiencing extreme pain and difficulty closing their jaw. They are considering home remedies and even pulling the adjacent molar themselves, but are advised against it. They are also unsure if dentists will work with them on payment options. Others recommend seeking immediate medical attention and suggest finding a dental school or oral surgeon for affordable treatment. It is also mentioned that impacted wisdom teeth can lead to infections and other dental issues. Lastly, it is advised to look into alternative dental insurance options for the future.
SticksandStones
My insurance is all but worthless and my wisdom tooth are coming in. Needless to say, I can't afford to have it removed, so what can I do to get rid of the pain? I can't even close my jaw at this point. :(

Any decent home remedies? I'm contemplating buying some pliers and just pulling the adjacent molar myself.

Biology news on Phys.org
SticksandStones said:
My insurance is all but worthless and my wisdom tooth are coming in. Needless to say, I can't afford to have it removed, so what can I do to get rid of the pain? I can't even close my jaw at this point. :(

Any decent home remedies? I'm contemplating buying some pliers and just pulling the adjacent molar myself.
NO! and NO!

If they are hurting they could be impacted, or you could be developing an abscess.

You need an x-ray, do you have a dental school near you?

In the mean time you can buy an oral analgesic gel with 20% benzocaine. But see a dentist immediately, you can't assume they are coming in ok if you have that much pain.

The nearest is 4 hours away.

EDIT: Does anyone know if dentists might work around the patient's ability to pay? I know some psychiatrists do this, but I don't know about other medical fields.

I'm with Evo, get them removed by a dentist. If they are impacted you will continue to have problems that a painkiller won't take away. In the case of an abscess the situation can even be dangerous. All in all it would be cheaper to have them extracted now than in the future.

SticksandStone, are you in school? If so, can you go to the clinic? They might have referals for students.

When was the last time you went to see a dentist? You should have regular dental check ups every 12-18 months, even if you have no pain. Teeth are important: you can either pay a small amount to fix them now, or a much larger amount to put right the problems that will inevitably come a few years down the line.

When I was 18 I had a terrible tooth problem, and I simply asked a dentist if I could pay my bill over time. I didn't know him, just picked him out of the yellow pages. He gave me a very reduced rate, and let me pay it as I could.

Yes, there are dentists who do that, but they don't advertise it. You're going to have to ask. I really believe most will work with you.

And like everyone else here, I strongly advise you to see a dentist right away.

Alright, thanks guys (and ladies), I'll call up a dentist on Monday and see what they can do. Thanks all :)

Impacted wisdom teeth aren't the end of the world. I have one impacted on the bottom on each side of my mouth (top ones came in fine). They've been there at least 2 years now, and don't bother me too much. The dentist said as long as I don't get a major infection I don't need to worry too much about getting them out.

NeoDevin said:
Impacted wisdom teeth aren't the end of the world.

True, they aren't always the end of the world, but it's best to have an assessment made by a dentist, as you did, rather than taking the chance.

Evo said:
NO! and NO!

Ditto: NO!

You need an x-ray, do you have a dental school near you?

I second that, and here's why:

SticksandStones said:
The nearest is 4 hours away.

Find a flophouse somewhere, and drive.

If your wisdom teeth are impacting your normal molars, the solution is to pull your wisdom teeth, NOT your normal molars!

I also second the recommendations made by others to make a few phone calls.

SticksandStones said:
Alright, thanks guys (and ladies), I'll call up a dentist on Monday and see what they can do. Thanks all :)

Just remember: when they tell you to avoid drinking through straws or creating a vacuum in your mouth, LISTEN... you do not want a dry socket. I'd add, just in case you're still thinking of pliers, that's actually NOT how you extract a tooth... so don't even think of trying. Beyond infection, you're most likely to just cause yourself a lot pain, slip, and crack a tooth.

NeoDevin said:
Impacted wisdom teeth aren't the end of the world. I have one impacted on the bottom on each side of my mouth (top ones came in fine). They've been there at least 2 years now, and don't bother me too much. The dentist said as long as I don't get a major infection I don't need to worry too much about getting them out.
I think you probably need to find a better dentist. First, if there is a major infection you are already too late: a tooth cannot be pulled in that situation. Second, an impacted tooth is difficult to clean, you run an increased risk for developing caries in the wisdom teeth and in the molars adjacent to it. An impacted tooth is almost always better to pull, unless there is an increased risk of complication due to health issues.

It's going to be really expensive to get any work done without dental insurance, but I agree with all above - you have to go to an oral surgeon or a dentist to get the work done!
Half the reason wisdom teeth are removed - impacted, partial eruption, etc - is because they are also IMPOSSIBLE to keep clean. So you'll also end up with an infection on top of all of your other problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know this is a little old, but... Odd insurance situation for you. Mine is full coverage through employer for five bucks a check (every other week). For future's sake, find out what all your options are if you haven't already.

If your school/employer doesn't have reasonable dental insurance, I'd try to talk them into getting a good plan out.

Dont do a diy job i seen a person about a year ago and he pulled out his tooth out the wrong way ( don't ask i am only a emt) in my view home surgery is the wrong way but anyway the doctor knows more than me. Anyway he tore out a lot of skin and a small bit of a small artery but lost 2 pints of blood ( in 13 min) before we got there. DON'T DO IT you may do real harm and may even end up bleeding out go see a dentist, gp or er doctor they may help or point you in the right direction.

Don't try pulling a tooth. It isn't that simple. Some roots are anchored in such a way that straight out pulling isn't effective. Sometimes the tooth has to be split in two and each half pulled out individually. Trying to pull a tooth of that kind either molar or bicuspid can do severe damage to the soft tissue. Furthermore the tooth might crack or crumble leaving you with nothing to grab. Then they will have to cut the toot out. Let a trained professional take care of it.

Radrook said:
Don't try pulling a tooth. It isn't that simple. Some roots are anchored in such a way that straight out pulling isn't effective. Sometimes the tooth has to be split in two and each half pulled out individually. Trying to pull a tooth of that kind either molar or bicuspid can do severe damage to the soft tissue. Furthermore the tooth might crack or crumble leaving you with nothing to grab. Then they will have to cut the toot out. Let a trained professional take care of it.

Amen.

Besides... you don't want a 'dry socket' even if you do it right, don't pass out, and don't get an infection.

Why do people consider this, when it's an old form of TORTURE?!

What can I do to fix tooth pain?

Tooth pain can be a very uncomfortable and frustrating experience. Here are five frequently asked questions about what you can do to fix tooth pain and their answers.

1. Why am I experiencing tooth pain?

Tooth pain can be caused by a variety of factors, such as tooth decay, gum disease, a cavity, or a cracked tooth. It is important to visit a dentist to determine the cause of your tooth pain and receive proper treatment.

2. Can I take over-the-counter pain relievers for tooth pain?

Over-the-counter pain relievers, such as ibuprofen or acetaminophen, can help alleviate tooth pain temporarily. However, it is important to see a dentist to address the underlying cause of your tooth pain.

3. How can I prevent tooth pain in the future?

To prevent tooth pain, it is important to maintain good oral hygiene by brushing twice a day, flossing daily, and visiting the dentist regularly for check-ups and cleanings. Avoiding sugary and acidic foods can also help prevent tooth pain.

4. Is a toothache an emergency?

A toothache can be considered an emergency if it is accompanied by swelling, fever, or difficulty breathing. In these cases, it is important to seek immediate dental care to prevent further complications.

5. What are some home remedies for tooth pain?

Some home remedies for tooth pain include rinsing with warm salt water, applying a cold compress to the affected area, and using clove oil or garlic paste as a natural pain reliever. However, these remedies should only be used as temporary relief and not as a substitute for professional dental treatment.