What Can You Do After a PhD in Theoretical Physics?

• Studying
  • Thread starter Silviu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Phd
In summary: There are many paths, but the most important thing is to find what you are passionate about and to find a way to express that in your research.
Silviu
Hello! I want to go for a phD in theoretical physics (especially high energy) and I was wondering what approaches are available after phD. I guess you can work on already developed theories and develop them further (such as string theory or supersymmetry) or you can come up with your own, new ideas. Is there anything else that that a theoretical physicist can do? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
In most cases, the objective would be to either get a job or make a job.
In either case, where ever the income is coming from, that's where the guidance comes as well.
Is your situation different?

.Scott said:
In most cases, the objective would be to either get a job or make a job.
In either case, where ever the income is coming from, that's where the guidance comes as well.
Is your situation different?
I am not talking about what to do in terms of jobs. I am talking about what paths can a theoretical physicist follow in terms of research (assuming you can choose anything you want). Like the goal is not to find a job but to come up with something new. Which ways can you follow to do that?

Aren't you still going get your funding through DARPA or NIST or something like that? Or are you entirely self-funded?

.Scott said:
Aren't you still going get your funding through DARPA or NIST or something like that? Or are you entirely self-funded?
I am a bit confused. I am still undergraduate and I am asking for stuff after phD. I still have like 6 years and I am not sure about all the formalities. My question is what paths can I take, in general terms, as a theoretician

Ahhh, still 6 years to go. Then you have 6 years to find your answer. Don't worry, there will still be plenty of things to discover then. Perhaps the most important part of your next 6 years of education will be an answer to this question of yours.

.Scott said:
Ahhh, still 6 years to go. Then you have 6 years to find your answer. Don't worry, there will still be plenty of things to discover then. Perhaps the most important part of your next 6 years of education will be an answer to this question of yours.
But I kinda need the answers now for a presentation. I would like advices from people that already followed a path, so I know what options I will have.

I understand your question as asking what you study during a PhD. For a PhD you normally are learning about a field while at the same time developing new pieces of it. For example, I am in theoretical condensed matter and am working generally on topology, but my specific research is on areas of the field which are new and not understood. So to your question, you would (normally) take a field in which something is known, learn that field thoroughly, and then contribute something original to it to push it a little further.

Related to What Can You Do After a PhD in Theoretical Physics?

1. What kind of jobs can I get after completing a PhD in theoretical physics?

After completing a PhD in theoretical physics, there are various career options available. Some common job roles include research scientist, data scientist, engineer, professor, and consultant. You can also work in industries such as aerospace, defense, technology, and energy.

2. Can I work in a different field with a PhD in theoretical physics?

Yes, a PhD in theoretical physics equips you with strong analytical and problem-solving skills that are highly valued in many industries. You can work in fields such as finance, healthcare, and computer science, among others.

3. Do I need to have a strong background in mathematics to pursue a PhD in theoretical physics?

Yes, a strong foundation in mathematics is essential for pursuing a PhD in theoretical physics. You will need to have a deep understanding of calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations, among other mathematical concepts.

4. How long does it take to complete a PhD in theoretical physics?

On average, it takes about 5-6 years to complete a PhD in theoretical physics. This may vary depending on your research topic, program requirements, and your own progress. Some students may take longer, while others may finish in less time.

5. What skills will I develop during a PhD in theoretical physics?

During a PhD in theoretical physics, you will develop strong analytical, problem-solving, and critical thinking skills. You will also learn how to design and conduct experiments, analyze data, and communicate complex ideas effectively. Additionally, you will gain expertise in mathematical modeling and programming languages such as Python or MATLAB.