What causes energy loss in electricity?

In summary, conductors have resistance due to energy lost when conduction electrons collide with the solid lattice of atoms. This is caused by the movement of the electrons being hindered by the lattice, resulting in energy loss. The explanation on Reddit is incorrect as it does not take into account the role of phonons in resistance.
NooDota

Homework Statement

Hello,I've always been told at school that conductors have resistance, and that resistance causes energy loss when current is flowing through the conductor, but I've never known the explanation behind that resistance.

Reading a little bit online, I saw 2 explanations:

1. The energy is lost due to friction (I'm not sure the friction of what, can you elaborate?)

And the second one (which I understood more) was:

2. Since the electrons are attracted to the nuclei, it will take energy to remove them from their orbit and give them velocity to move through the conductor, the energy used to do this is the energy loss.Which explanation is correct?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
NooDota said:

Homework Statement

Hello,I've always been told at school that conductors have resistance, and that resistance causes energy loss when current is flowing through the conductor, but I've never known the explanation behind that resistance.

Reading a little bit online, I saw 2 explanations:

1. The energy is lost due to friction (I'm not sure the friction of what, can you elaborate?)

And the second one (which I understood more) was:

2. Since the electrons are attracted to the nuclei, it will take energy to remove them from their orbit and give them velocity to move through the conductor, the energy used to do this is the energy loss.Which explanation is correct?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Yikes! Neither one is correct. Where did you find those?

The conduction electrons are in the conduction band of the solid metal, and they are driven along by the electric field across the length of the conductor. Energy is lost as the electrons "collide" with the solid lattice of atoms (look up phonons). That is a simple explanation -- there are better, more accurate explanations. I'll see if I can find you a better reference...

1. What is energy loss in electricity?

Energy loss in electricity refers to the conversion of electrical energy into other forms of energy, such as heat or sound, during the transmission of electricity from its source to its destination. This loss of energy can occur due to various factors, such as resistance in wires, faulty equipment, or environmental conditions.

2. How does energy loss affect the efficiency of electricity?

Energy loss in electricity decreases the overall efficiency of the electrical system. This means that a portion of the energy generated is not delivered to the intended destination, resulting in wasted resources and increased costs. In some cases, energy loss can also cause power outages or equipment failures.

3. What causes energy loss in electricity?

Energy loss in electricity can be caused by a variety of factors, such as resistance in wires, power surges, overloading of circuits, and faulty equipment. Environmental factors, such as temperature and humidity, can also contribute to energy loss.

4. How can energy loss in electricity be reduced?

There are several ways to reduce energy loss in electricity. One way is to use more efficient equipment and technologies that have lower resistance and can handle higher loads. Regular maintenance and inspections of electrical systems can also help identify and address any potential sources of energy loss. Another approach is to use renewable energy sources, such as solar or wind power, which have lower energy loss compared to traditional fossil fuels.

5. Is it possible to completely eliminate energy loss in electricity?

No, it is not possible to completely eliminate energy loss in electricity. However, it is possible to minimize it through various strategies, such as using more efficient equipment, regular maintenance, and using renewable energy sources. These measures can significantly reduce energy loss and improve the overall efficiency of the electrical system.