What causes pressure in a fluid from beneath?

In summary: But there is another force at work too: the hydrostatic force. This is the pressure exerted by the weight of the water above.
anonymous99
Homework Statement
So my understanding is that for an object submerged in a fluid, the pressure from above is because of the weight of the fluid directly above it. However, the pressure at the bottom of the object is greater because of the hydrostatic equation. What causes this pressure since it isn't weight clearly?
Relevant Equations
And to check my understanding, this pressure times area of the object equals the object's weight times the weight of all the fluid vertically above the object right?
S

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
anonymous99 said:
Homework Statement:: So my understanding is that for an object submerged in a fluid, the pressure from above is because of the weight of the fluid directly above it. However, the pressure at the bottom of the object is greater because of the hydrostatic equation. What causes this pressure since it isn't weight clearly?
Relevant Equations:: And to check my understanding, this pressure times area of the object equals the object's weight times the weight of all the fluid vertically above the object right?

S
the pressure is a macroscopic property that is caused due to collisions with the molecules of the fluid and since the object is completely immersed in the fluid the pressure acts from all directions on the object (even from the bottom).
anonymous99 said:
And to check my understanding, this pressure times area of the object equals the object's weight times the weight of all the fluid vertically above the object right?
I think maybe you are referring to the area of the base of the object? instead of "area of the object".

anonymous99 said:
my understanding is that for an object submerged in a fluid, the pressure from above is because of the weight of the fluid directly above it.
No, it is because of the ambient pressure within the fluid at that depth. In an L-shaped vessel, the pressure all along the bottom is the same, and it depends on the vertical distance from there to the exposed surface.
The same applies at all points on the surface of the submerged object, so the pressure is higher on the lower parts than on the higher parts. One could in principle obtain the net buoyancy force by integrating over the surface of the object, but generally it is much simpler to apply Archimedes' principle.

anonymous99 said:
No, that's quite wrong.
The area has to be considered as made up of area elements, each of which is a vector. The magnitude of the vector is the magnitude of the area, and the direction is orthogonal to the element, into the object.
The net force is then ##\int P.\vec{dA}## taken over the area in contact with the fluid.
Multiplying two weights wouldn’t make much sense, and as noted above, it is not to do with fluid directly above the object.

Likes Hamiltonian
anonymous99 said:
Homework Statement:: So my understanding is that for an object submerged in a fluid, the pressure from above is because of the weight of the fluid directly above it. However, the pressure at the bottom of the object is greater because of the hydrostatic equation. What causes this pressure since it isn't weight clearly?
Relevant Equations:: And to check my understanding, this pressure times area of the object equals the object's weight times the weight of all the fluid vertically above the object right?

S
Are you familiar with Pascal's law. It says that, at a given location in a fluid, pressure acts equally in all directions. This is called isotropy of pressure.

One might think of Newton's third law. The upward force from the fluid below is equal and opposite to the downward push from the stuff above.

Related to What causes pressure in a fluid from beneath?

1. What is pressure in a fluid?

Pressure in a fluid is the force exerted by the fluid on the walls of its container or any object immersed in it. It is caused by the random motion of fluid molecules colliding with each other and with the walls of the container.

2. How is pressure created in a fluid from beneath?

Pressure in a fluid from beneath is created by the weight of the fluid above it. As more fluid is added on top, the weight and therefore the pressure increases.

3. What factors affect the pressure in a fluid from beneath?

The pressure in a fluid from beneath is affected by the depth of the fluid, the density of the fluid, and the acceleration due to gravity. The deeper the fluid, the higher the pressure. The denser the fluid, the higher the pressure. And the higher the acceleration due to gravity, the higher the pressure.

4. How does pressure in a fluid from beneath affect objects immersed in the fluid?

Objects immersed in a fluid will experience a force due to the pressure from beneath. This force is called buoyancy and it is equal to the weight of the fluid displaced by the object. This is why objects seem lighter when immersed in a fluid.

5. Can pressure in a fluid from beneath be calculated?

Yes, pressure in a fluid from beneath can be calculated using the formula P = ρgh, where P is the pressure, ρ is the density of the fluid, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the depth of the fluid. This formula is known as the hydrostatic equation.