What college can I hope to get in?

• Schools
  • Thread starter Pastel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    College
In summary, the person is from an Eastern European country and is interested in studying Physics up to a doctorate degree. They are seeking information on which university they could potentially get into and are planning to take the SATs, Cambridge Proefficiency exam, and TOEFL. The conversation also mentions the difficulty of getting into top US/UK universities and suggests looking into select "scholar's" type programs for undergrad. These programs typically offer full or almost-full funding and require top grades, coursework, and test scores, as well as strong extra-curricular activities. The person is advised to do research to find a suitable program at a university that can offer it to non-US citizens.
Pastel
I'm from an Eastern European country. I'm interested in studying Physics, possibly up to a doctorate degree. Obviously, I'd like to get as good an education as I can, so could you inform me as to which university I could hope to get into?
I'm in my junior year of high school. I have a couple of first prizes at my national physics olympiad, though I've never got close to the IPhO, so I'm wondering if the the national is worth a damn when it comes to getting into college.
Other than that, what else could help me? I'm planning to take the SATs, the Cambridge Proefficiency exam and the TOEFL. Anything else that might help?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
It is unfortunately much more difficult for someone in your position to get into a top US/UK university, but it sounds like you could be well on your way. What are your grades like? What kind of score do you expect to get on the SATs/TOEFL? What classes are you taking? Any advanced ones?

In the US, you might aim for entry into a select "scholar's" type program for undergrad (available at both private and public universities). Some of these programs (like the Jefferson Scholars program at the University of Virginia) do only accept US citizens, but I know of a few such programs that have flown people in from other countries (Dubai, Pakistan, etc.). Typically these programs are offered to retain top in-state students that would otherwise attend an Ivy League, to get highly-qualified students from outside the state (and nation), and also to get students that would be competitive for other awards like becoming a Goldwater or Rhodes Scholar (which would serve to boost the rank of the university). Usually these programs (which tend to give full rides or "almost-full" funding) require thesis work, study-abroad, etc. .. all stuff that can make you look good for a top-ranked grad school, as long as you take advantage of the opportunities available to you.

To be in one of these programs, you have to be REALLY top at everything having top grades, coursework, and test scores), having good extra-curriculars (which is where the national physics Olympiad fits in, as well as hopefully some service, etc.).. and then you usually have a phone interview or in person interview, then possibly complete an even more intense process with several finalists to get a spot in the program.

It will take a lot of research to find one that would probably be suitable to you... at a school you'd like and at a school that would be able to offer this to a non-US citizen. But hey... that's what the internet and email are great for. Sorry this isn't my total area of expertise so I don't have specific programs to recommend... but at least it's a start.

Related to What college can I hope to get in?

1. What factors determine which college I can get into?

The factors that determine which college you can get into include your academic performance, extracurricular activities, test scores, letters of recommendation, and personal essay. These factors are considered by college admissions committees to evaluate your potential as a student and your fit for their institution.

2. Is it better to attend a prestigious college or a less well-known one?

This ultimately depends on your personal goals and priorities. Attending a prestigious college may provide more opportunities for networking and career advancement, but it also often comes with a higher cost. Less well-known colleges may still offer a high-quality education and have strong programs in your field of interest. It's important to research and weigh your options to find the best fit for you.

3. Can I increase my chances of getting into a top college?

Yes, there are several ways to increase your chances of getting into a top college. You can focus on maintaining a strong academic record, participating in extracurricular activities that align with your interests and showcase your strengths, and preparing for and performing well on standardized tests. Additionally, seeking out meaningful experiences such as internships or volunteer work can also make your application stand out.

4. Are there any colleges that have a guaranteed admission policy?

Some colleges do have guaranteed admission policies for certain groups of students, such as those who meet certain academic criteria or are residents of a specific state. However, these policies vary from college to college and may also have additional requirements, so it's important to research and confirm the specific details for each institution.

5. What should I do if I don't get into my top choice college?

If you don't get into your top choice college, it's important to remember that there are many other colleges and universities that can provide a great education and opportunities for personal and professional growth. You can also consider appealing the admissions decision or reapplying in the future. It's also helpful to keep an open mind and explore alternative paths such as attending a community college or taking a gap year before reapplying to your top choice college.