What college to join for Bsc in Physics in India?

In summary: The best colleges in India are IISERs and IITs. They offer better teaching facilities and better opportunities for career growth.
Somit Jain
I cleared my 12th board and am expecting to get about 80% and I did not do very well in Jee mains either as I only solved the physics portion. I will be giving cmi entrance exam but I want some more options. Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
IISER's, IIT's are the best colleges if you have high grades.

Well that's the thing, I don't have high grades. I slacked off during my 12th, I wasn't motivated at all to study just for the sake of scoring well in examinations.

I don't know where you stay, anyway, you can google for the ranks of Indian colleges and choose among them. Let me say my experience, I have joined St.Joseph's College (Bangalore) for the B.Sc course and JNP (Jawaharlal Nehru Planetarium) REAP classes. REAP classes are for "any" of the interested students in Science (especially Physics and Biology, though you will also be taught advanced math), where in the first two years, you will be taught some basics like Newtonian mechanics, Mathematical methods for Physicists, QM, QED, along with a trip to Asia's biggest Telescope (Kavalur in Tamil Nadu). In the third year you will be allowed to do research projects with students in IISc along with stipend. If you are in Bangalore, you have the chance to join REAP. Otherwise, search such classes in your state (if any).

Likes Somit Jain
I live in Bhopal, and here I don't think we have REAP classes. And there aren't any good college here except IISER Bhopal. Should I join any good college in Banglore? I have applied for christ university there but chances of me getting selected are pretty low. Can you suggest some good colleges in Banglore that take students from other states too.

If you have already planned to come here in Bangalore, then first option (according to the info I have) would be IISc (not sure about the availability of course), then Christ College, then St.Joseph's (I have heard about Oxford college??, but not sure).

Just consider knowing about other places in India, I said about Bangalore because I stay in Bangalore.

I have not planned yet but I didn't found any other cities where they offer REAP classes. And also there aren't any good colleges in my city for BSc so i was planning on moving out, So if Bangalore is good I will move there. What city would you suggest? That have a good college for BSc .

There are a plenty of options if you have to go for a BSc with an honors in Physics.Depending on where you stay,there are central universities like DU,BHU,Calcutta university as well as various state universities like Pune university which offer this course.You should look at their websites.If you perform well in your JEE,you can apply for integrated programs at various IISERs and NISERs.

i would suggest for M.S University vadodara

Vivek Jha said:
There are a plenty of options if you have to go for a BSc with an honors in Physics.Depending on where you stay,there are central universities like DU,BHU,Calcutta university as well as various state universities like Pune university which offer this course.You should look at their websites.If you perform well in your JEE,you can apply for integrated programs at various IISERs and NISERs.
DU wants at least 85% and I don't think I will make it. I am too late to apply for BHU and I have searched many state universities but I am confused, which one to choose? And also the problem with state universities is that they don't prefer having students from other states.

henil said:
i would suggest for M.S University vadodara
Can you please tell why is it good?

better teaching facilities
well equipped lab
plus an overall development in other subjects other than physics that are required for great Carrier opportunities
overall training for exams like GATE NET SLET n various phd programmes

What is the best college for Bsc in Physics in India?

The best college for Bsc in Physics in India can vary depending on individual preferences and factors such as location, campus facilities, and faculty. Some top colleges for Bsc in Physics in India include Indian Institute of Science (IISc), Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), University of Delhi, and University of Mumbai.

What are the eligibility criteria for Bsc in Physics in India?

The eligibility criteria for Bsc in Physics in India may vary slightly from college to college, but generally, students must have completed their 10+2 education with Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics as main subjects. Some colleges may also have a minimum percentage requirement for admission.

What is the course structure for Bsc in Physics in India?

The course structure for Bsc in Physics in India typically includes a combination of theoretical lectures, laboratory work, and research projects. Students will cover topics such as mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. They will also have the opportunity to choose electives based on their interests.

What are the career opportunities after completing Bsc in Physics in India?

A Bsc in Physics can lead to various career opportunities, including research and development, teaching, data analysis, and engineering. Many graduates also go on to pursue higher education in fields such as astrophysics, nuclear physics, and biophysics.

What skills are required to excel in Bsc in Physics in India?

To excel in Bsc in Physics in India, students should have a strong foundation in mathematics, problem-solving skills, and critical thinking abilities. They should also possess a curious and analytical mindset, as well as good communication and teamwork skills, which are essential for scientific research and collaboration.