What could create a zombie-like virus?

• Thread starter thehumanity
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Virus
In summary: In summary, the individual is a hobby screenwriter looking to create a fictional virus similar to rabies, but more "realistic" for a zombie-like disease. They are seeking a scientific explanation for how such a virus could work and have found inspiration in a previous discussion on a "rage virus." They are specifically looking to create a disease that causes extreme aggression and lethargy in infected individuals, similar to the zombies in certain movies. The individual mentions Toxoplasma as a potential source of inspiration, as it is a parasite that alters rat behavior for its own benefit. They also mention a potential play on Toxoplasmosis for their fictional virus.
thehumanity
I've always had a thing for zombie movies. I'm a hobby screenwriter, and I'm looking into writing a movie about something similar to a zombie apocalypse, but something that's more "realistic" than the regular "bite and die"-like spread you find in zombie movies. I'm looking to create a fictional virus that is very similar to rabies, and preferably a mutation of rabies. I need a scientifical explanation on how such a virus could work. My knowledge of physics is very limited, which is why I'm looking for help.

I was doing some research on viruses myself, I found that there had been a previous discussion earlier on this subject regarding a "rage virus", inspired by the movie 28 Days Later. Original thread can be found https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=179146". I love Google.

What I'm looking for is a possible mutation (or evolution) of a virus that could create a zombie-like disease. Most of the newer zombie movies have this kind of virus, where the host becomes extremely aggressive. The infected are often running after the survivors, something George Romero's zombies wouldn't do. Romero's zombies would be more lethargic and slow-moving. I'm looking to honor that opinion, and create a different disease inspired by the whole zombie thing. To reference a couple of movies that display characteristics I'm looking for: 28 Days Later, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Dead Snow, 28 Weeks Later, Day of the Dead (2008), I Am Legend (if you cut the vampire element).

To summarize, I'm looking for a way to create a disease that could cause a zombie-like behaviour in humans. I'd like to base the disease off of rabies, or if you have another disease which is similar, shoot it at me and I'll do some research.

How could such a disease develop? In layman's terms, please! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
Not particularly pleasant. But this may give you some ideas:
Cordyceps unilateralis
(It's not a virus by the way, but a fungus.)

Half of the world's human population is infected with Toxoplasma, parasites in the body—and the brain. Remember that.

Toxoplasma gondii is a common parasite found in the guts of cats; it sheds eggs that are picked up by rats and other animals that are eaten by cats. Toxoplasma forms cysts in the bodies of the intermediate rat hosts, including in the brain.

Since cats don't want to eat dead, decaying prey, Toxoplasma takes the evolutionarily sound course of being a "good" parasite, leaving the rats perfectly healthy. Or are they?

Oxford scientists discovered that the minds of the infected rats have been subtly altered. In a series of experiments, they demonstrated that healthy rats will prudently avoid areas that have been doused with cat urine. In fact, when scientists test anti-anxiety drugs on rats, they use a whiff of cat urine to induce neurochemical panic.

However, it turns out that Toxoplasma-ridden rats show no such reaction. In fact, some of the infected rats actually seek out the cat urine-marked areas again and again. The parasite alters the mind (and thus the behavior) of the rat for its own benefit.

If the parasite can alter rat behavior, does it have any effect on humans?

http://www.livescience.com/technology/060210_technovelgy.html"

Once in the rat, Toxo's goal is to then be eaten by a cat so it can be fruitful and multiply, but as I mentioned, this can only take place in the cat's gut. Toxo's goal is to get the rat eaten by a cat. Toxo could get the desired effect through a whole sort of seemingly obvious ways; e.g., Make the rat hard to run so it is easier for a cat to catch it. Instead it takes a far more interesting approach: Toxo generates cysts in the brain of the rat. These cysts take over the fear center of the brain, but specifically the fear of predators. Common fear sources for rodents (e.g., bright lights, open spaces, etc.) still operate perfectly well in an infected rat, but now they are no longer afraid of cat piss. That alone would be cool enough, but Toxo takes it one step further. When Toxo is going about futzing with the fear center of the brain it also goes into the sexual excitement part of the brain. It hijacks the incoming Fear of Cat Piss™ and instead diverts the signal to the Barry White™ center of the brain.

"Somehow, this damn parasite knows how to make cat urine smell sexually arousing to rodents, and they go and check it out. Totally amazing.

-Dr. Sapolsky

Maybe some kind of play on Toxoplasmosis!

Last edited by a moderator:

Thank you for your question. I can provide a possible explanation for how a zombie-like virus could develop. It is important to note that this is purely hypothetical and there is currently no known virus that can cause a zombie-like behavior in humans.

First, let's consider the characteristics of rabies. It is a viral disease that affects the central nervous system and is typically transmitted through the bite of an infected animal. Rabies causes aggressive and erratic behavior in its host, leading to the popular depiction of "rabid" animals.

Now, let's imagine a hypothetical mutation of the rabies virus. This mutation could potentially affect the virus's ability to interact with the human body in a way that causes a more severe and faster-acting infection. The virus could also develop the ability to spread through other means, such as through bodily fluids or even through the air.

One possible scenario is that the virus mutates to target specific areas of the brain that control basic survival instincts and motor functions. This could result in the infected individual experiencing a loss of control over their actions and becoming extremely aggressive and violent. The virus could also cause a heightened sense of hunger or thirst, leading to the "zombie-like" behavior of constantly seeking out and attacking potential hosts.

Furthermore, the virus could also affect the body's natural healing processes, resulting in the characteristic decaying and deteriorating appearance of zombies. This could be due to the virus attacking and destroying cells responsible for repairing and maintaining the body's tissues.

It is also possible that the virus could have a prolonged incubation period, allowing the infected individual to spread the virus to others before showing symptoms. This could result in a rapid spread of the virus, similar to what we see in zombie movies.

Overall, the development of a zombie-like virus would require a complex series of mutations and adaptations in a virus that is already highly infectious and capable of causing severe neurological symptoms. While it may seem far-fetched, viruses are constantly evolving and adapting to new environments, so it is not entirely impossible for a virus to develop these characteristics.

I hope this provides a satisfactory explanation for your fictional virus. It is always important to remember that while the idea of a zombie virus may be entertaining, real viruses and diseases can have devastating effects on human populations, so it is important to continue studying and researching them in order to prevent and treat outbreaks.

1. What is a zombie-like virus?

A zombie-like virus is a hypothetical virus that would cause a person to become similar to a zombie, typically characterized by aggressive and violent behavior, loss of higher brain functions, and an insatiable hunger for human flesh.

2. Can a virus really turn people into zombies?

No, there is currently no known virus that can turn people into zombies. While there are some viruses that can affect the brain and behavior, they do not result in the same characteristics as seen in fictional zombies.

3. What could cause a virus to create zombie-like symptoms?

There are a few possible explanations for what could cause a virus to create zombie-like symptoms. It could be a mutation of an existing virus, a combination of different viruses, or a completely new virus. It could also be a result of a viral infection affecting the brain and nervous system.

4. Is it possible for a virus to be intentionally created to cause a zombie apocalypse?

While it is possible for a virus to be created in a lab, it is highly unlikely that it would be intentionally created to cause a zombie apocalypse. Creating a virus that could cause such extreme and specific symptoms would require a level of advanced scientific knowledge and technology that we do not currently possess.

5. What steps can be taken to prevent a zombie-like virus outbreak?

The best way to prevent a zombie-like virus outbreak is to prioritize public health and safety measures, such as practicing good hygiene, maintaining a strong immune system, and quickly identifying and containing any potential outbreaks. In addition, investing in scientific research and preparedness can help us better understand and combat potential viral threats.