What defines a science oriented topic versus philosophy?

• Thread starter Shing Ernst
  • Start date
In summary, philosophical discussions about existence in physics are discouraged on this website. However, they are allowed in the QM forum.
Shing Ernst
Not sure where to complain...
but what makes this topic okay on this site
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/is-classical-mechanics-philosophically-sound.869216/

while mine not?
https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...en-we-say-something-exists-in-physics.889325/I am asking if when we say something exist in physics, we mean we can measure it. How is it not physics but philosophy?? I think it is a quite scientific topic...

btw, why the "philosophy of science" tag then?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you have a valid point.

Possibly, if you had asked your question in the Quantum forum instead of General Physics, and omitted your last line apologizing for philosophy, it might have received different treatment. There is a large grey area between philosophy and "QM interpretation" (which is why I'm tending to prefer shut-up-and-calculate more and more).

Likes Dr. Courtney, Bystander, S.G. Janssens and 2 others
@strangerep is pretty spot on with his comment.

Philosophical topics are generally discouraged on PF, and are viewed negatively by a sizeable portion of our membership. Many people post on PF precisely because they dislike the philosophy discussions that are rampant on other sites.

The primary exception is the QM forum. It is recognized that interpretational issues are part of the modern professional scientific discourse in QM in a way that they are not in other disciplines. Even so, they are rather tightly constrained and closed as soon as they become problematic.

You are actively discouraged from discussing this topic here, but if you are to discuss it at all then it needs to be in the context of QM, posted in the QM forum, and consistent with the QM literature on the topic.

Likes mfb and 1oldman2
Okay, I understand your difficulties. I will ask better questions on Quantum physics thread next time.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Only an appendix.

Your primary question has been about the existence of something. E.g. the physical existence of virtual particles is frequently discussed here, in the sense, that members on PF do the Sisyphus work to correct this pop science view.

Existence, however, in its general meaning has been discussed by philosophers for at least 3,000 years and it brought us nowhere.
Nobody wants to read another 3,000 posts on this topic on a website dedicated to physics. It makes sense to leave this to the philosophers since say have a far better (historical) background to debate on this. Existence in its physical meaning is an observation of some measurement apparatus or at least a mathematical solution of an equation.

For me, any relevant discussion in science must be related to a testable hypothesis. The debate about whether or not something "exists" would need a testable way to differentiate existing from not existing.

Debating what the definition of "exist" should be is more philosophical. Debating how to conduct an experiment testing for existence using a given definition is scientific.

Likes Ygggdrasil

1. What is the main difference between a science oriented topic and a philosophical topic?

The main difference between a science oriented topic and a philosophical topic is the approach and methods used to study and understand the subject matter. In science, empirical evidence and experimentation are used to gather data and make predictions, while philosophy relies on reasoning and logical arguments.

2. Can a topic be both a science and philosophical topic?

Yes, there are many topics that can be both a science and philosophical topic. For example, the nature of consciousness and free will are often studied in both fields, with scientists using neurological studies and philosophers using logical reasoning to explore these topics.

3. How do science and philosophy overlap in their approach to understanding the world?

Both science and philosophy aim to understand the world and our place in it. While science focuses on tangible and observable phenomena, philosophy delves into more abstract concepts and seeks to understand the underlying principles and values behind them.

4. Are there any specific criteria that define a topic as belonging to either science or philosophy?

There is no clear-cut criteria for defining a topic as belonging to either science or philosophy. However, some factors that may be considered include the use of empirical evidence, the ability to make testable predictions, and the level of objectivity in studying the topic.

5. Are there any benefits to combining science and philosophy in studying a topic?

Combining science and philosophy can lead to a more well-rounded and comprehensive understanding of a topic. The empirical evidence and logic used in science can provide a solid foundation, while the critical thinking and questioning used in philosophy can help to explore different perspectives and implications of the topic.