What Determines the Net Force Acting on a Point?

In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking help with a physics question for their introductory class. They are unsure about their friend's answer and are seeking clarification. The question involves determining the net force acting on a point and the possible directions and magnitudes of the force. The student is also struggling with resolving components of forces and is unsure about whether adding vectors at a 90 degree angle is allowed.
godfather183
Hello guys,

I just need help understanding this question for my introductory physics class...my friend gave me the answer but I am not really sure i trust him or believe in his logic he used to figure it out...please help i attached the drawing so yall can see it!

all it states is: what is the net force acting on the point...with the following answers

a. north with a force greater than 40N
b. south with a force greater than 40 N
c.north with a force less than 40 N
d. south with a force less than 40N

thank you so much~

Attachments

• 1.doc
    20 KB · Views: 240
Physics news on Phys.org
your attachment is not working

I think it's still pending approval...so if u can come back later and look at it..I would really appreciate it :)

What do you think so far. This is basically all to do with resolving components of forces. Have you come across that before?

Well at first i was planning to add the the vectors to get the resultant force but i noticed it was at a 90 degree angle and didnt know if i was allowed to...but i know for sure the force will be north but as far as less or more I am still a little stumped...

Related to What Determines the Net Force Acting on a Point?

What is Net Force?

Net force is the sum of all the forces acting on an object in a given direction. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

How do you calculate Net Force?

To calculate the net force on an object, you need to add together all the individual forces acting on the object, taking into account their direction. If the forces are acting in the same direction, you add them together. If they are acting in opposite directions, you subtract the smaller force from the larger force.

What is the difference between Net Force and Resultant Force?

Net force and resultant force are often used interchangeably, but there is a subtle difference. Net force refers to the overall force acting on an object, while resultant force refers to the single force that could replace all the individual forces acting on an object and produce the same effect.

Can Net Force be zero?

Yes, net force can be zero if all the forces acting on an object are balanced and cancel each other out. This means that the object is either at rest or moving at a constant velocity.

How does the direction of Net Force affect an object's motion?

The direction of net force determines the direction of an object's acceleration. If the net force is in the same direction as the object's motion, it will speed up. If the net force is in the opposite direction, it will slow down. If the net force is perpendicular to the object's motion, it will change the object's direction.