What Determines the Period of a Physical Pendulum?

In summary, a physical pendulum with a 4.4 kg object and a moment of inertia of 33.9 kg-m2 about its center of mass and a rotation point at 276.69 cm has a period of 3.35s. The equation used for this calculation is T = 2pi sq rt (I/mgh) with I being the moment of inertia, m being the mass, g being the acceleration due to gravity, and h being the distance from the rotation point to the center of mass. It is important to note that the calculation should be done using the moment of inertia about the suspension point, not the center of mass.
jbgibson

Homework Statement

A physical pendulum is constructed using a 4.4 kg object having a moment of inertia of 33.9 kg-m2 about its center of mass. The rotation (suspension) point is 276.69 cm from the center of mass. What is the period of this physical pendulum?

Homework Equations

T = 2pi sq rt (I/mgh)

The Attempt at a Solution

Every attempt at this problem yields T = 3.35s. I did a little research to make sure I was using the correct equation, but I didn't find anything to contradict what I'm using. Inertia is kg-m^2; m=4.4kg, g=9.81m/s^2, and h=2.7669m. Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Note that I must be about the suspension point, not the center of mass.

Doc Al said:
Note that I must be about the suspension point, not the center of mass.

That's it! I worked out the problem using I about the suspension point and it's correct. Thank you for the insight.

Related to What Determines the Period of a Physical Pendulum?

What is the period of a physical pendulum?

The period of a physical pendulum is the time it takes for the pendulum to complete one full swing or oscillation.

How is the period of a physical pendulum calculated?

The period of a physical pendulum can be calculated using the equation T = 2π√(I/mgd), where T is the period, I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass of the pendulum, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and d is the distance from the pivot point to the center of mass of the pendulum.

What factors affect the period of a physical pendulum?

The period of a physical pendulum is affected by the length of the pendulum, the mass of the pendulum, the angle of displacement, and the acceleration due to gravity.

How does the period of a physical pendulum change with different parameters?

As the length of the pendulum increases, the period also increases. Similarly, as the mass of the pendulum increases, the period also increases. The period also increases with larger angles of displacement and decreases with higher accelerations due to gravity.

What is the difference between a physical pendulum and a simple pendulum?

A physical pendulum is a rigid body that oscillates around a fixed axis, while a simple pendulum is a point mass attached to a massless string or rod that swings freely. The period of a physical pendulum is affected by its dimensions and mass, while the period of a simple pendulum is only affected by its length.