What do the extra text fields in the Wavemon scan screen mean?

• Thread starter Swamp Thing
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Linux
In summary, the <F3> (scan) screen of Wavemon displays various outputs, including a percentage in the third column which indicates the signal strength. Some rows also have additional text fields such as "ESS", "5% chan", "1 sta", "Radio Measure", "Spectrum mgmt", which are not fully explained in the MAN page or other sources of information. A helpful video on Wavemon does not cover the meaning of these extra items in the scan screen.
Swamp Thing
Insights Author
In the <F3> (scan) screen of Wavemon, there are certain outputs whose meaning I would like to know.

1. In the third column, there is a percentage. What does that indicate?

2. After the frequency column, some rows (i.e. some SSIDs) have extra text fields like "ESS", "5% chan", "1 sta", "Radio Measure", "Spectrum mgmt".
Code:
6, 2437 MHz 1 sta, 3% chan, Radio Measure, Spectrum Mgmt

What do those extra items mean? The MAN page does not explain this, nor could I find other sources of information.

Computer science news on Phys.org
It's an informative video, but it doesn't explain those extra text fields in the scan screen.

What is Wavemon?

Wavemon is a free and open-source WiFi tool for Linux that allows users to monitor and manage wireless network connections on their devices.

How do I install Wavemon on my Linux system?

To install Wavemon, you can use your system's package manager or download the source code and compile it yourself. Detailed installation instructions can be found on the Wavemon website.

What features does Wavemon offer?

Wavemon offers a variety of features including real-time monitoring of wireless network signal strength, channel usage, and noise levels. It also allows for the management of network interfaces, access points, and wireless security settings.

Can I use Wavemon on any Linux distribution?

Yes, Wavemon is compatible with most Linux distributions, including Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora, and CentOS. It can also be used on other Unix-like systems such as FreeBSD and OpenBSD.

Is Wavemon safe to use?

Yes, Wavemon is a safe and trusted tool for managing WiFi connections on Linux systems. It is regularly updated and maintained by a community of developers, and its source code is publicly available for inspection.