What do theoretical physicists actually do?

In summary, theoretical physicists work on theories and experiments that they are interested in their free time.
Hacker Jack
What are they employed to do most of the time? I read that Albert Einstein was working at a patent office when he came up with his theories. So do theoretical physicists work on stuff they are interested in their free time as opposed to when they are at work?

• Haha
Likes PeroK
Physics news on Phys.org
Hacker Jack said:
What are they employed to do most of the time? I read that Albert Einstein was working at a patent office when he came up with his theories. So do theoretical physicists work on stuff they are interested in their free time as opposed to when they are at work?
Yes in their spare time they hang around bars drinking, smoking pipes pondering theories reading note books.
9-5 similar stuff but in the office.

No seriously, things have changed quite a bit since 1905. We have a few theoretical guys on here.
Give you an insight? @PeroK laughed so he will know!

Likes Hacker Jack
Ok so I found this question on quora and one of the answers said (in relation to what I am asking) that "There are experimental results without a theoretical model. They can work on that or they could work on previously existing models to apply necessary corrections thereby making them better. Or they could bring about a drastic change to the most fundamental laws".

What I am wondering which is related to my question I think is where are these experimental results stored for theoretical physicists to theorize about. Is that what the website arXiv is for or is that where the theories are put in for peer review?

Hacker Jack said:
where are these experimental results stored for theoretical physicists to theorize about. Is that what the website arXiv is for or is that where the theories are put in for peer review?
Surely arXiv accepts experimental as well as theoretical papers? :wideeyed:

I looked for Muon g 2 experiment results on arXiv but couldn't find it but Wikipedia says results published April 2021. Do you know where physicists keep their experiment data... Is it available to general public like me. Are there theoretical physicists who look at the muon g 2 experimental results and try and theorize something for it?

There are threads on that in here. Just search Muon G2

As for the Muon g2 results, the Wikipedia page has many links to papers and results. This page linked from the Wikipedia page, for example, summarizes the experimental and theoretical results. What are you looking for that isn't here?

Likes Keith_McClary and pinball1970
phyzguy said:
As for the Muon g2 results, the Wikipedia page has many links to papers and results. This page linked from the Wikipedia page, for example, summarizes the experimental and theoretical results. What are you looking for that isn't here?
12 months on, what is the view? Waiting for LHC?

1. What is the role of a theoretical physicist?

A theoretical physicist is a scientist who uses mathematical models and theories to explain and predict the behavior of physical systems. They often work alongside experimental physicists to develop new theories and test them through experiments.

2. What do theoretical physicists study?

Theoretical physicists study a wide range of topics, including the fundamental laws of nature, the behavior of matter and energy at the smallest and largest scales, and the origins and evolution of the universe. They also work on developing new theories and models to explain complex phenomena.

3. How do theoretical physicists conduct their research?

Theoretical physicists use a combination of mathematical equations, computer simulations, and theoretical frameworks to conduct their research. They also collaborate with other scientists and often work in teams to solve complex problems.

4. What are the practical applications of theoretical physics?

Theoretical physics has many practical applications, including the development of new technologies, such as quantum computers and advanced materials. It also helps us understand and predict natural phenomena, such as the behavior of particles in accelerators and the formation of galaxies.

5. How does theoretical physics contribute to our understanding of the world?

Theoretical physics plays a crucial role in advancing our understanding of the world by providing a framework for explaining and predicting the behavior of physical systems. It also helps us uncover new laws and principles that govern the universe and expands our knowledge of the fundamental building blocks of matter and energy.