What do you folks think of Arduino?

• Thread starter KaleLetendre
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Arduino
In summary: Code=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B01617UJ88In summary, Arduino is a versatile little controller for robotic projects, but it can be difficult to program. The Pololu Maestro Controller can be used to solve this problem.
KaleLetendre
What do you guys think of Arduino? I have been using to build little autonomous robots and it seems to work pretty well other than storage and voltage limitations. Is there anything better i could upgrade to or should i just stick with it?

Technology news on Phys.org
Arduino is good as a robotic controller. It has a lot of I/O ports for that kind of work. The difficulty is the development and downloading of code. In order to fix that, some folks have done projects using a combination of arduino and raspberry-pi. The Pi can be programmed directly and then be connected to the arduino to send it commands.

In a sense, you'd use the arduino for low-level robotics and the Pi for higher level robotics. The two together provide a very powerful platform for robotic control applications.

http://readwrite.com/2014/04/16/arduino-raspberry-pi-connected-home-tutorials-projects/

Likes harborsparrow
Arduino and Raspberry Pi are versatile little critters, useful for much more. Even hackers use them, but I won't discuss that. WiFi connectivity brings options for storage. For powering higher voltage servos and motors you'd just use controllers that can connect to them but handle more power with power transistors or SCRs, with a separate power source for that load.

Likes harborsparrow
Arduino is not very user friendly when it comes to controlling multiple servos or reading sensors. The Pololu Maestro Controller can control up to 24 servos and be programmed in C# in Visual Studio through the USB port. Each servo/sensor has three pins on the board : positive,negative, and signal. The Arduino has it's pins all over the place. If a controller requires a unique company created IDE don't waste your time. The Maestro Controller is made for common programming languages.

This board in the link has 6 ports for servos,inputs, and outputs.

https://www.pololu.com/product/1350

Looks like the Polulu might solve the power problem but not the memory issue; the link has follow ons to GitHub to info on using Arduinos to control Polulus.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to What do you folks think of Arduino?

1. What exactly is Arduino?

Arduino is an open-source electronic platform that is designed to make creating interactive electronic objects and projects accessible to everyone. It consists of a physical programmable circuit board, a software development environment, and a community of users and developers.

2. Is Arduino suitable for beginners?

Yes, Arduino is perfect for beginners! Its user-friendly interface and community support make it easy for anyone to learn and start creating projects. It is also a great tool for students and hobbyists who want to learn about electronics and programming.

3. What are the advantages of using Arduino?

One of the main advantages of using Arduino is its versatility. It can be used for a wide range of projects, from simple LED light displays to complex robotics. It also has a low cost, making it accessible to a larger audience. Additionally, Arduino is open-source, meaning the designs and software are freely available, allowing for customization and innovation.

4. Are there any disadvantages to using Arduino?

While Arduino is a great tool for beginners and hobbyists, it may not be suitable for more advanced or professional projects. It has limited processing power and memory compared to other microcontrollers, which may restrict its capabilities. Additionally, its open-source nature may lead to compatibility issues with some components.

5. Where can I find resources to learn more about Arduino?

There are plenty of resources available to learn about Arduino, including official documentation, online tutorials, and community forums. You can also find books and attend workshops and classes. The best way to learn is to start experimenting and practicing with the Arduino board and software.