What Does a Complex Momentum Value Indicate in Quantum Mechanics?

In summary, momentum is a real number that describes the amount of momentum an object has. It is measured experimentally by how much an object moves when a force is applied.
intervoxel
[itex]
\langle p\rangle=-i\hbar\int \Psi^*\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\Psi dx
[/itex]

Apparently, in general, we get a complex number for momentum. What does it mean, since p is an observable?

Physics news on Phys.org
The values are real, and can only be real, the imaginary numbers will cancel out. The momentum operator, p, being hermitian, guarantees this.

Ok, thank you.

In a little more detail, if the wavefunction is purely real, then you will always find that <p>=0 (try this out if you like, for example on the Harmonic oscillator wavefunctions).

If the wavefunction is complex, then you can separate the real and imaginary parts ... the imaginary part will of course be multiplied by i, and so you will end up with i2 in your final answer, which will be completely real. (The real part will yield a result of zero, as covered above).

Hi.

intervoxel said:
Apparently, in general, we get a complex number for momentum. What does it mean, since p is an observable?

By partial integration, as ψ vanishes at infinity x,
∫ψ*∂x ψ dx = [ψ*ψ] - ∫(∂x ψ*)ψ dx = - ∫ψ∂xψ* dx.
By adding the both and dividing by two,
-ih'∫ψ*∂x ψ dx = -ih'{ ∫ψ*∂x ψ dx - ∫ψ∂xψ* dx}/2
= -ih'/2 ∫ψ*∂x ψ dx + ih'/2 ∫ψ∂xψ* dx
= -ih'/2 ∫ψ*∂x ψ dx + its conjugate complex
= real number

Regards.

Last edited:
SpectraCat said:
In a little more detail, if the wavefunction is purely real, then you will always find that <p>=0 (try this out if you like, for example on the Harmonic oscillator wavefunctions).

If the wavefunction is complex, then you can separate the real and imaginary parts ... the imaginary part will of course be multiplied by i, and so you will end up with i2 in your final answer, which will be completely real. (The real part will yield a result of zero, as covered above).

Another way is to take into consideration that the derivative of a real function has opposite parity. So the integrand is odd, resulting in a null integral in the symmetric limits. I think.

sweet springs said:
Hi.

By partial integration, as ψ vanishes at infinity x,
∫ψ*∂x ψ dx = [ψ*ψ] - ∫(∂x ψ*)ψ dx = - ∫ψ∂xψ* dx.
By adding the both and dividing by two,
-ih'∫ψ*∂x ψ dx = -ih'{ ∫ψ*∂x ψ dx - ∫ψ∂xψ* dx}/2
= -ih'/2 ∫ψ*∂x ψ dx + ih'/2 ∫ψ∂xψ* dx
= -ih'/2 ∫ψ*∂x ψ dx + its conjugate complex
= real number

Regards.

Interesting proof, thank you.

Since everyone seem to agree this momentum is "real", can someone please explain what kind of momentum is that - spatial, angular, spin? Does it apply to any particle or object or just photons or just bound electrons, or what? How do we measure it experimentally?

Related to What Does a Complex Momentum Value Indicate in Quantum Mechanics?

What is the expected value of momentum?

The expected value of momentum is a measure of the average momentum of a system or particle. It is calculated by multiplying the mass of the particle by its velocity.

How is the expected value of momentum different from the actual momentum?

The expected value of momentum is a theoretical value based on probability, while the actual momentum is the physical value measured in a specific instance.

What factors affect the expected value of momentum?

The expected value of momentum is affected by the mass and velocity of the particle, as well as any external forces acting on the system. It can also be affected by the uncertainty or variability in these factors.

Why is the expected value of momentum important in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, the expected value of momentum is used to predict the behavior of particles in a probabilistic manner. It is a fundamental concept in understanding the behavior of particles at the quantum level.

How is the expected value of momentum calculated in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, the expected value of momentum is calculated using the wave function of the particle. This involves taking the integral of the wave function multiplied by the momentum operator.