What does the differential equation answer mean?

In summary, a differential equation is an equation that relates functions to their derivatives, describing the relationship between a system's rate of change and its current state. These equations can be solved using methods like separation of variables and substitution, depending on their complexity. The answer to a differential equation represents the solution to a problem and can be interpreted as a system's behavior over time or the value of a function at a given point. Differential equations are important in various fields, including physics, engineering, economics, and biology, as they allow us to model and understand complex systems and make predictions. They have numerous applications in real-world problems, such as population growth, weather prediction, and technology development.
NODARman
Homework Statement
-4(dx+dy)
Relevant Equations
What does -4(dx+dy) mean?
Hi, last semester I "solved" a full differential equation and the answer was (see the picture). What does it mean? Can I make a graphic with it or what? I really don't get it.

*Arrows are just a continuation of the main formula*

293482098_2905522343085816_5653388484348363792_n.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see a differential equation
( something of the form ##f ' = g(x,y)## )
so I have no idea what you are doing.
Can you try to explain what you think you are doing?

## \ ##

Likes FactChecker and topsquark
It looks like you are calculating the differential of [itex]f(x,y) = x^2/y[/itex] at the point [itex](x,y) = (-2,1)[/itex].

Likes Steve4Physics and FactChecker

What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is used to model various physical, chemical, and biological phenomena.

What does the solution to a differential equation represent?

The solution to a differential equation represents the relationship between the variables in the equation and how they change over time. It can also provide information about the behavior of a system or process.

How is a differential equation solved?

There are various methods for solving differential equations, including separation of variables, substitution, and using integrating factors. The appropriate method depends on the type and complexity of the equation.

What does the order of a differential equation mean?

The order of a differential equation refers to the highest derivative present in the equation. For example, a first-order differential equation contains only first derivatives, while a second-order equation contains second derivatives.

Why are differential equations important in science?

Differential equations are important in science because they can accurately model and predict the behavior of complex systems and processes. They are used in many fields, including physics, engineering, biology, and economics.