What does the Dynamometer show?

• Thread starter Fishingaxe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dynamometer
In summary, a 3kg weight pulls down a spring balance with a mass of 3kg that measures 1 dyne of force.
Fishingaxe

Homework Statement

What does this dynamometer show?

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/826/0uqz.png/

That's pretty much the entire problem, I realize that this is utterly pathetic to post here but I lack the very foundations in physics and after googling this "problem" I still haven't gotten any results, I've thought about it as well and I've only come to one conclusion:

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My conlusion is that it has a weight of 3kg pulling it down, that's it. I know it's stupid to say that it's my conclusion after hours of googling and thinking about it, and I probably come across as a retard and rightly so. If this is such a simple problem and doesn't deserve to be posted here then I apologize. I figured if I'm having problem with a "problem" why not ask the geniuses?

PS: I tried to upload the picture using the insert photo feature but somehow it came out blank so I decided to use insert link.

Physics news on Phys.org
Fishingaxe said:
What does this dynamometer show?

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/826/0uqz.png/

Hi Fishingaxe,

I don't see a dynomometer. To me that looks like a spring balance for measuring a force (or a weight).

"Why not ask the geniuses?" indeed! :smile: But while waiting for them to answer, why not search via google for a physics equation that relates weight to mass. :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes 1 person
It measures a force in dynes, the unit of force in the cgs (in which measurements are made in centimeters, grams and seconds units) system. 1 dyne is a force of 1 gram cm/s2. In the S.I. unit of measurement the unit of force is Newtons which is 1 kg m/s2.

100 000 dyne = 1 Newton

From Wikipedia..

"A dynamometer or "dyno" for short, is a device for measuring force, moment of force (torque), or power."

So fishingaxe will need to tell us what his dynamometer is designed to measure (force, torque or power).

Force is usually measured in Newtons
Torque in Newton Meters
Power in Watts.

or related units.

Basic_Physics said:
It measures a force in dynes, the unit of force in the cgs (in which measurements are made in centimeters, grams and seconds units) system. 1 dyne is a force of 1 gram cm/s2. In the S.I. unit of measurement the unit of force is Newtons which is 1 kg m/s2.

100 000 dyne = 1 Newton

Thank you very much for your answer, so if I understand this correctly the solution is as follows:

1 dyne = 1 gram cm/s2

The weight is 3kgs which is 3000 grams and that is 3000 dynes so that should be 0.03N? Since 100.000 dyne = 1N.

Or is 1N = 1kg m/s2 so the force is 3N?

I am sorry about still being confused.

CWatters said:
From Wikipedia..

"A dynamometer or "dyno" for short, is a device for measuring force, moment of force (torque), or power."

So fishingaxe will need to tell us what his dynamometer is designed to measure (force, torque or power).

Force is usually measured in Newtons
Torque in Newton Meters
Power in Watts.

or related units.

Hello, I believe it is in Newtons, I study from my home and the assignment I simply downloaded from the schools website, and I have as much information as you got from me. However from overlooking the other physics problems I have I believe it is supposed to be solved in N.

CWatters said:
If the scale measures force and reads in Newtons then use

F = mass * acceleration

where the mass "m" is 3kg and the acceleration "a" = g = 9.81m/s2 (sometimes 10 m/s2 is used as an approximation).

Example Dynamometer here has a scale marked in Newtons..

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/287398142/TRANSPRENT_DYNAMOMETER.html

Now I think I got it, thank you.

Solution: F = mass * acceleration. F = 3kg * 9.81m/s2 = 29.43 N.

F = 29.43 N.

Is this correct?

Yes, so the dynamometer will read 29.43 x 105 dynes.
you should actually round this off to one significant digit since the problem only gives 1 significant digit - 3 kg.

Likes 1 person
Fishingaxe said:
Now I think I got it, thank you.

Solution: F = mass * acceleration. F = 3kg * 9.81m/s2 = 29.43 N.

F = 29.43 N.
Well done sorting that out! :smile:

1. What is a dynamometer?

A dynamometer is a device used to measure force, torque, or power. It is commonly used in engineering, automotive, and research fields to test the performance of various machines and engines.

2. How does a dynamometer work?

A dynamometer works by applying a load or resistance to a machine or engine and measuring the force or torque required to overcome it. This measurement can then be used to calculate the power output of the machine.

3. What does the dynamometer show?

The dynamometer typically shows the amount of force or torque being produced by a machine or engine. This can be displayed in various units, such as pounds, Newtons, or foot-pounds. It may also show power output in horsepower or kilowatts.

4. Why is a dynamometer used?

A dynamometer is used for a variety of purposes, including testing and evaluating the performance of engines, measuring power output, and conducting research on various machines and systems. It is also commonly used in the automotive industry for tuning engines and testing vehicle performance.

5. Are there different types of dynamometers?

Yes, there are several types of dynamometers, including absorption dynamometers, which absorb the power output of an engine and convert it into heat, and motoring dynamometers, which can both absorb and apply power to measure the performance of a machine or engine. There are also various types of dynamometers specific to different industries and applications.