What is the minimum wattage rating the resistor should have?

In summary, the question asks for the minimum wattage rating a resistor should have, based on the maximum and minimum current values and the tolerance of the resistor. The three equations provided can be used to calculate the power, but it is important to use the correct values for current, voltage, and resistance. In this case, using the maximum current and minimum resistance values would be more appropriate.
zug

Homework Statement

[/B]
The question "What is the minimum wattage rating the resistor should have?" comes after a previous problem I did to determine the maximum and minimum current when given a resistors tolerance. Here are all the values from that problem, some aren't really important but want to show all that I have. In the problem I used the Minimum Current as my value for I:

$$ V = 7.0V $$
$$ R = 82 \Omega +/- 5% $$
Max. Resistance = 86 ohms
Min. Resistance = 78 ohms
Minimum Current = 81.4 A
Maximum Current = 89.7 A

Homework Equations

1.$$ P = IV $$
2. $$ P = \frac{V^{2}}{R} $$
3. $$ P = {I^{2}}{R} $$

The Attempt at a Solution

What I'm not sure about if should I use the 1st, 2nd or 3rd equation?
When I used the 1st one I got $$ (81.4 A) \times (7.0 V) = 569 W $$
If I use the 2nd one I get $$ \frac{7.0^{2}}{86} = 569 mW $$
For the third I get: $$ (81.4^2) \times (86) = 569 kW $$

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The point of determining a minimum wattage is to assure that a resitor won't burn out. Given that, do you really think it is the right thing to do to use the MINIMUM current?

So maybe use the maximum current value 89.7 A and the minimum resistance value 78 ohms? Once I did this I get 628W, 628 kW and 628 mW. I'm still unsure of what formula to use.

You should check your current values...those looks WAY too high considering the voltage and resistance...

OMG, the current values are actually suppose to be in mA! :H So then, once I used the value (89.7 mA) in each equation it simply gives me the SAME value, not matter which equation I use. Thanks for pointing out the current values, I kind of feel dumb now. o0)

Last edited:
Yeah, all 3 equations should give you the same number if you use the correct current, voltage, and resistance, but Phinds is right, you probably shouldn't be using the minimum current to do this calculation.

1. What is the purpose of a resistor in an electrical circuit?

A resistor is used to regulate the flow of electrical current in a circuit by limiting the amount of voltage that can pass through. This helps to prevent damage to other components in the circuit and ensures that the circuit operates within safe parameters.

2. How is the minimum wattage rating of a resistor determined?

The minimum wattage rating of a resistor is determined by the amount of power that needs to be dissipated in the circuit. This is calculated by multiplying the square of the current by the resistance value of the resistor.

3. What happens if a resistor with a lower wattage rating is used in a circuit?

If a resistor with a lower wattage rating is used in a circuit, it may overheat and potentially fail. This can lead to incorrect readings or even damage to other components in the circuit.

4. Is it better to use a resistor with a higher wattage rating than the minimum required?

It is generally better to use a resistor with a higher wattage rating than the minimum required. This allows for a safety margin and ensures that the resistor can handle unexpected spikes or fluctuations in the current.

5. Can I combine multiple resistors to achieve a higher wattage rating?

Yes, you can combine multiple resistors in series or parallel to achieve a higher wattage rating. However, it is important to ensure that the combined resistance value and power rating are suitable for the circuit.