What does the energy of a photon convert to with interference?

In summary: What are you referring to here? All I can think of is Delbrück scatteringYes, I was talking about Delbruck scattering ##\gamma + \gamma \rightarrow \gamma + \gamma## which has the incoming photons annihilate to a virtual ##e^+ + e^-## pair which then annihilates back to photons, or pair production ##\gamma + \gamma \rightarrow e^+ + e^-## which has the incoming photons annihilate to a real ##e^+ + e^-## pair.
Kurt Mueller
TL;DR Summary
Thinking about the interferometer used in LIGO, when this interference occurs, what annihilation or conversion of energy takes place?
I was just reading about the LIGO experiment wherein an interferometer was used to detect gravity waves. This interferometer uses opposed light waves, detecting if there is a shift in their wavelength due to stretching/squeezing of a gravity wave passing through the lasers. (I hope I'm saying that right)

But what happens to the photons during this process of interference? What is the energy converted to?

Edit: Of course, I'm assuming there even is a conversion in the first place.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Kurt Mueller said:
what happens to the photons during this process of interference? What is the energy converted to?

No conversion of energy happens. The interference doesn't affect energy.

Likes vanhees71
Kurt Mueller said:
Summary:: Thinking about the interferometer used in LIGO, when this interference occurs, what annihilation or conversion of energy takes place?
Interference doesn’t change the amount of energy, so there is no conversion.

Likes vanhees71
Thank you. I was thinking along the lines of the photon being its own antiparticle and matter/antimatter annihilations.

Kurt Mueller said:
Thank you. I was thinking along the lines of the photon being its own antiparticle and matter/antimatter annihilations.
That can happen, but not in a setup like LIGO or any other normal interferometer. It requires exceptionally luminous beams of very high energy light (gamma rays). It isn’t an interference process.

What are you referring to here? All I can think of is Delbrück scattering, i.e., ##\gamma+\gamma \rightarrow \gamma+\gamma## which indeed has been observed by the ATLAS collaboration at CERN in ultraperipheral lead-lead collisions, which is not precisely elastic scattering of two free photons but very close to it:

https://doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevLett.123.052001 (open access!)
https://physics.aps.org/articles/v12/s87

Within the Standard Model (or rather QED as one of its parts) it's a pure quantum effect. The lowest order perturbation theory is of order ##\alpha^4## (the box diagrams with four external photon lines).

Likes Dale
vanhees71 said:
What are you referring to here? All I can think of is Delbrück scattering
Yes, I was talking about Delbruck scattering ##\gamma + \gamma \rightarrow \gamma + \gamma## which has the incoming photons annihilate to a virtual ##e^+ + e^-## pair which then annihilates back to photons, or pair production ##\gamma + \gamma \rightarrow e^+ + e^-## which has the incoming photons annihilate to a real ##e^+ + e^-## pair.

vanhees71 said:
it's a pure quantum effect.
Absolutely

Likes danielhaish and vanhees71
The great thing is that it's not divergent as suggested from naive "power counting". So this box diagram's superficial degree of divergence is 0, so it could be divergent, but in fact the sum of all the box diagrams (which differ only in the topology connecting the external lines) is finite thanks to a Ward-Takahashi identity.

Likes Dale

1. What is the energy of a photon?

The energy of a photon is a fundamental quantity of energy associated with electromagnetic radiation, such as light. It is described by the equation E=hf, where E is the energy, h is Planck's constant, and f is the frequency of the radiation.

2. How does interference affect the energy of a photon?

Interference occurs when two or more waves of the same frequency meet and combine, either constructively or destructively. In the case of photons, interference can cause a redistribution of energy, resulting in regions of higher and lower energy within the wave.

3. Can the energy of a photon be converted to another form of energy through interference?

Yes, the energy of a photon can be converted to other forms of energy through interference. For example, when two photons of different frequencies interfere, their energies can combine to create a new photon with a different frequency and energy.

4. Does the energy of a photon always convert to the same form of energy with interference?

No, the energy of a photon can convert to various forms of energy with interference, depending on the specific conditions of the interference. This can include changes in the frequency, direction, or polarization of the photon.

5. How does the energy of a photon convert with interference in different mediums?

The conversion of energy with interference can vary in different mediums, as the properties of the medium can affect the behavior of the photons. For example, interference in a denser medium may result in a greater redistribution of energy compared to interference in a less dense medium.