What does the YouTube HTML5 page do?

• Thread starter Stephen Tashi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Youtube
In summary, the page on YouTube does something to inform people of the HTML5 features their browser supports. If you use the HTML5 player, YouTube videos will be served up using HTML5 instead of Flash when possible.
Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
What does the YouTube page https://www.youtube.com/html5 do for people?

Is it just information?

Does it configure something on YouTube itself that recognizes a given computer or browser and causes YouTube to uses html5 playback when that computer or browser visits YouTube? (If so, does this work if a person doesn't log-on to a YouTube account ?)

Does the page alter something on the users machine or browser so that the machine or browser uses html5 playback when it accesses YouTube?

That page on YouTube is often suggested to people who are having problems viewing YouTube videos with various browsers. But I have yet to see an explanation of what that page does - if anything.

Computer science news on Phys.org
With the problems that adobe flash has had, the HTML5 standard has been pushed as a means for a more common user experience across all browsers. In order to prevent illegal downloads of content, web sites go to great extent to protect their video content causing problems depending on the browser used. HTML5 is supposed to address those issues in cleaner and more standard way.

One such notable example, is the lack of support for adobe flash in iOS devices. Steve Jobs refused to support it citing its many vulnerabilities and instead pushed for HTML5.

Here are some of the features of HTLM5:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTML5

jedishrfu said:
With the problems that adobe flash has had, the HTML5 standard has been pushed as a means for a more common user experience across all browsers.

Ok, but my question isn't "What is HTML5 ?". My question is what does that particular page on YouTube do?

Stephen Tashi said:
Ok, but my question isn't "What is HTML5 ?". My question is what does that particular page on YouTube do?
I just looked at the page you linked to. Apparently it checks whatever browser you're using and informs you of the HTML5 features that your browser supports. I'm using IE 11. According to the page in the link, my browser supports HTMLVideoElement and H.264 video codec, but doesn't support the other features listed on that page.

Mark44 said:
I just looked at the page you linked to. Apparently it checks whatever browser you're using and informs you of the HTML5 features that your browser supports.

When I look at that page, it has a button that toggles between "Request the HTML5 player" and "Use the default player". What does using that button do ?

Stephen Tashi said:
When I look at that page, it has a button that toggles between "Request the HTML5 player" and "Use the default player". What does using that button do ?
What browser are you using?

Greg Bernhardt said:
What browser are you using?

Right now, Firefox. I also see that button when I use Midori. Perhaps, I should call it a "rectangle" instead of a button. It functions like a toggle button. It's just above the text "Supported Browsers".

Stephen Tashi said:
Right now, Firefox. I also see that button when I use Midori. Perhaps, I should call it a "rectangle" instead of a button. It functions like a toggle button. It's just above the text "Supported Browsers".
Hmm I'm using the latest FF and I don't see any button, just the list of "What does this browser support?". Can you take a screenshot?

Greg Bernhardt said:
Hmm I'm using the latest FF and I don't see any button, just the list of "What does this browser support?". Can you take a screenshot?

I'll try - but that will be entering new territory for me !

This is the part of the page where the blue rectangle is shown:

Attachments

• YtubePage.jpg
    YtubePage.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 521
Stephen Tashi said:
This is the part of the page where the blue rectangle is shown:
Are you using the latest version of FF?

Greg Bernhardt said:
Are you using the latest version of FF?

No.

I see the blue rectangle on this computer with Firefox 38.0.1. I just looked at the page using another computer with Firefox 48.0.1 and I don't see the blue rectangle.

Stephen Tashi said:
If you opt for using the HTML5 player, YouTube videos will be served up using HTML5 instead of Flash when possible. You can always return to the page an opt out later.

I'm pretty sure the setting is browser-specific. In the past, I never logged into YouTube, and opting in still worked. The setting is probably just saved to a browser cookie.

1. What is the YouTube HTML5 page?

The YouTube HTML5 page is a version of the YouTube website that uses HTML5 technology instead of Adobe Flash. It allows for smoother video playback and better compatibility with different devices and browsers.

2. How do I access the YouTube HTML5 page?

To access the YouTube HTML5 page, you can simply go to the URL "https://www.youtube.com/html5". If you are already on the regular YouTube website, you can click on the "Try it now" button at the bottom of the page.

3. What are the benefits of using the YouTube HTML5 page?

The YouTube HTML5 page offers several benefits, including faster video loading times, better video quality, and improved battery life on mobile devices. It also supports a wider range of video formats and allows for easier video embedding on other websites.

4. Can I switch back to the regular YouTube website after using the HTML5 page?

Yes, you can switch back to the regular YouTube website at any time by clicking on the "Switch to Flash Player" button at the bottom of the HTML5 page. However, this may result in a decrease in video quality and performance.

5. Do I need to have a specific browser or device to use the YouTube HTML5 page?

No, the YouTube HTML5 page is compatible with most modern browsers, including Google Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Microsoft Edge. It is also accessible on most devices, including desktop computers, laptops, smartphones, and tablets.