What does this expression involving Partial Derivatives mean?

In summary: In that case, the only off-diagonal elements are those in the first row and the only on-diagonal elements are those in the first column. Therefore, the only term that needs to be found is the product of the two on-diagonal elements.In summary, the Homework Statement is asking for the product of the two on-diagonal elements of the matrix.
physicss
Homework Statement
Hello, what does this expression mean?
Relevant Equations
(Picture)
I already solved w x x/|x|
For (w1,w2,w3) and (x1,x2,x3)
2E486A9A-524A-4515-AC6C-71F2B9313E92.jpeg

Physics news on Phys.org
physicss said:
Homework Statement: Hello, what does this expression mean?
Relevant Equations: (Picture)

I already solved w x x/|x|
For (w1,w2,w3) and (x1,x2,x3) View attachment 327170
Then you just have to take the partial derivative wrt ##x_i## and again wrt ##x_j##.

haruspex said:
Then you just have to take the partial derivative wrt ##x_i## and again wrt ##x_j##.
Thanks for the answer. Would xi and xj be x1 and x2 in this case?

physicss said:
Thanks for the answer. Would xi and xj be x1 and x2 in this case?
No. Because the function is symmetric in the three parameters, you can replace them with ##x_i##, ##x_j##, ##x_k##, where it is understood that {i,j,k}={1,2,3}, but which is which is unspecified.
For example, suppose you had the function ##x_1x_2x_3## then its partial derivative wrt ##x_i## and ##x_j## would be ##x_k##.

Edit, you might also need to assume that i, j, k are in the same cyclic order as 1, 2, 3.

Edit 2: Just realised my posts may be off the mark. I need to solve it myself first.

Edit 3:
Rereading the question, I see it does not refer to indices 1, 2, 3. That is something you assumed. So my correct answer to your post #3 is:

Yes, they are using i, j, k as the indices, not 1, 2, 3.

haruspex said:
No. Because the function is symmetric in the three parameters, you can replace them with ##x_i##, ##x_j##, ##x_k##, where it is understood that {i,j,k}={1,2,3}, but which is which is unspecified.
For example, suppose you had the function ##x_1x_2x_3## then its partial derivative wrt ##x_i## and ##x_j## would be ##x_k##.

Edit, you might also need to assume that i, j, k are in the same cyclic order as 1, 2, 3.

Edit 2: Just realised my posts may be off the mark. I need to solve it myself first.

Edit 3:
Rereading the question, I see it does not refer to indices 1, 2, 3. That is something you assumed. So my correct answer to your post #3 is:

Yes, they are using i, j, k as the indices, not 1, 2, 3.
Thank you

Presumably ##\vec {\omega}## is constant and does not depend on the ##x_i##. I would try the brute force method which is always safe.
  1. Write ##\dfrac{\vec x}{|\vec x|}=\dfrac{x_1~\hat{x}_1+x_2~\hat{x}_2+x_3~\hat{x}_3}{\left[x_1^2+x_2^2+x_3^2 \right]^{1/2}}.##
  2. Find ##\dfrac{\partial^2}{\partial x_1\partial x_2}\left( \dfrac{x_1~\hat{x}_1+x_2~\hat{x}_2+x_3~\hat{x}_3}{\left[x_1^2+x_2^2+x_3^2 \right]^{1/2}} \right)##.
  3. Do a cyclic permutation of indices to find the other two terms.
  4. Take the cross product.
There might a simpler way to do this but I can't see what it is. I assume that in your original expression you have "off-diagonal" elements only, i.e. it is stipulated somewhere that ##i\neq j##.

1. What is a partial derivative?

A partial derivative is a mathematical concept used to describe the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables, while holding all other variables constant.

2. How is a partial derivative different from a regular derivative?

A partial derivative is a derivative of a multivariable function, while a regular derivative is a derivative of a single variable function. This means that a partial derivative only considers the change in one variable, while a regular derivative considers the change in all variables.

3. What does it mean to hold other variables constant in a partial derivative?

Holding other variables constant in a partial derivative means that while calculating the rate of change of a function with respect to one variable, all other variables are treated as constants and do not change.

4. How is a partial derivative calculated?

A partial derivative is calculated by taking the derivative of a function with respect to one variable, while holding all other variables constant. This is done by treating the other variables as constants and using the rules of differentiation.

5. What is the purpose of using partial derivatives?

Partial derivatives are used to analyze the behavior of multivariable functions and to understand how changes in one variable affect the overall function. They are also useful in optimization problems and in various fields of science, such as physics, economics, and engineering.