What engineering field uses the most Physics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of physics and the different engineering disciplines that are derived from it. It is suggested that studying general physics first can make the other engineering disciplines clearer. The distinction between physics and engineering is also explained, with physics aiming to advance the science itself and engineering applying it for the betterment of humanity. It is recommended to take introductory classes in several engineering disciplines to discover one's interests before declaring a major.
Scramble
I am interested in Classical Mechanics and the Universe

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you can handle the math, go Physics first, then EE.
Bob S (a retired physicist)

Bob S said:
If you can handle the math, go Physics first, then EE.
Bob S (a retired physicist)

I was kind of worried about the difficulty of Physics, engineering or computer science seem to be ever so slightly easier...

Engineering Physics i think is the answer.

Okki2 said:
Engineering Physics i think is the answer.

my school doesn't offer that, except to graduate school students

Mechanical Engineering

classical physics at its finest.

What are you afraid of? If you are interested in physics, study physics.

How can this question best be approached? All of our usual engineering disciplines are basically derived from Physics: Mechanical Engineering, Electrical & Electronic Engineering, Civil Engineering, Aeronautical, Aerospace Engineering, Nuclear Engineering - - - none of these would exist without Physics. (You might look at Systems Engineering and Chemical Engineering a bit differently, but not totally. Remember, Chemistry itself is based in Physics - - - and you might look at physics as based in Mathematics.) The distinction between Physics and the Engineering disciplines is the intended result. Physics is aimed at advancing the science itself; Engineering is aimed at using that science for the advancement of the living conditions of humanity. As such, the tools (mainly math) used by the two communities is slightly different. One leans toward those that lead more toward deriving and explaining the science, and the other leans toward those that best apply it (in other words, shortcuts). In the end, they are essentially the same. An Engineer can work in the fields of Physics and a Physicist can perform as an Engineer - - - though they occasionally take snipes at each other - - - mostly in jest. Finally, I agree with one of the earlier insertions. If you have the time (most engineering students probably don't), by all means take General Physics first. It will make most engineering disciplines clearer. (The same, by the way, goes for Chemistry - - - it is easier if Physics is taken first. The problem here is that most students find Physics the more difficult, probably because it requires us to unlearn some of our youthful notions.)

KM

Scramble said:
I was kind of worried about the difficulty of Physics, engineering or computer science seem to be ever so slightly easier...

Maybe you could tell more about your situation. I might take a guess you are interested in physics and technology, but have found an actual physics class to be rather difficult. So you'd like to pursue an engineering degree because of your interest in technology.

But I am only guessing here. Also, are you supposed to declare a major soon?

You may just have to take several introductory engineering classes to find out which interests you the most. If I had to, I would suggest mechanical, electrical, and chemical engineering, since they are rather diverse. After 1 semester of introductory classes in those 3, you'll have a much better idea of which interests you the most.

Related to What engineering field uses the most Physics?

1. What is the most physics-heavy engineering field?

The most physics-heavy engineering field is mechanical engineering. This field deals with the design, analysis, and manufacture of mechanical systems, which heavily rely on the principles of physics such as mechanics, thermodynamics, and materials science.

2. How does electrical engineering use physics?

Electrical engineering heavily relies on the principles of physics, specifically electromagnetism, to design and develop electrical systems and devices. This includes understanding electrical circuits, electromagnetic fields, and the behavior of different materials in electrical systems.

3. Is civil engineering a physics-based field?

Civil engineering is not considered a physics-based field, but it does use principles of physics in its design and analysis. Civil engineers use physics concepts such as mechanics, thermodynamics, and fluid dynamics to design structures and systems such as bridges, buildings, and water systems.

4. How does aerospace engineering use physics?

Aerospace engineering heavily relies on the principles of physics, specifically mechanics and aerodynamics, to design and develop aircraft and spacecraft. This includes understanding the behavior of air and other fluids, as well as how forces and motion affect the flight of objects.

5. Can computer engineering be considered a physics-based field?

Computer engineering is not typically considered a physics-based field as it focuses more on the design and development of computer hardware and software. However, it does use principles of physics, such as semiconductors and electronics, to design and create computer components and systems.