What exactly is a 'total derivative'?

In summary, a total derivative is a function that takes the derivatives of a function with respect to all of its variables. This can also be seen as the gradient or Jacobian of a function. It can be used to find the absolute change along a path or to compare with partial derivatives. There are various definitions and applications of total derivatives, making it a complex concept.
Cinitiator

Homework Statement

What exactly is a total derivative? What is the definition of this concept?

Homework Equations

An example of total derivatives:
HM9lE.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried searching for it, but found no helpful information.

Physics news on Phys.org
Cinitiator said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

HM9lE.png

What you have is a differential, not a derivative.

That's the differential in a general form. For a specific point you evaluate the partial derivatives on the right side at the point and then you have a linear function of dk and dl.

Cinitiator said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

HM9lE.png

You may contrast your "total derivative", with partial derivative. The total is sort of an absolute change, like if you have a (k,l)(t) path, and head in the (dk,dl) direction. You can contrast this with the partial derivatives, fk and fl, which would contribute to parts of the total derivative. Or, you might have a path k(l), so you could find the total derivative along that path. Another definition of total derivative, would be the vector (fk,fl), otherwise known as the gradient. The tricky part is, the various realizations of the term total derivative can be a little confusing, I don't think I happened to notice all this until I graduated and had a chance to look back at all the contexts I had seen it.

A total derivative is taking the derivatives of a function wrt all variables. In the case of steady fluid dynamics, this would be the partials with respect to X Y and Z. As mentioned earlier, this is also known as taking the gradient of a function.

algebrat said:
You may contrast your "total derivative", with partial derivative. The total is sort of an absolute change, like if you have a (k,l)(t) path, and head in the (dk,dl) direction. You can contrast this with the partial derivatives, fk and fl, which would contribute to parts of the total derivative. Or, you might have a path k(l), so you could find the total derivative along that path. Another definition of total derivative, would be the vector (fk,fl), otherwise known as the gradient. The tricky part is, the various realizations of the term total derivative can be a little confusing, I don't think I happened to notice all this until I graduated and had a chance to look back at all the contexts I had seen it.

I was hoping to pull together the various definitions of total derivative from
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Total_derivative
It includes Jacobian, gradient (special case of Jacobian), and, somehow consistent with that, a gradient dotted with a path vector, which could be parametrized by one of the original independent variables. I suppose the latter is like the former in that it is the total change as we move along in t, or in a way, in x, so we contrast df/dx with ∂f/∂x, another strangeness.

Related to What exactly is a 'total derivative'?

What is the definition of a total derivative?

A total derivative is a mathematical concept used in calculus to describe the rate of change of a multivariate function with respect to its inputs. It takes into account the changes in all of the inputs simultaneously, rather than just one input at a time.

How is a total derivative different from a partial derivative?

A partial derivative measures the rate of change of a function only with respect to a single input, while a total derivative considers the effect of all inputs on the function's output. In other words, a partial derivative holds all other variables constant, while a total derivative allows all variables to vary.

Why is the total derivative important in scientific research?

The total derivative is important in scientific research because it allows us to model complex systems and understand how small changes in multiple variables can affect the overall outcome. It is especially useful in fields such as physics, economics, and engineering.

What are some real-world applications of the total derivative?

The total derivative has many applications in various fields such as physics, economics, and engineering. For example, it can be used to analyze the motion of objects in space, predict changes in stock prices, and optimize the design of structures or systems.

How is the total derivative calculated?

The total derivative can be calculated using the chain rule in calculus. It involves taking the partial derivative of a function with respect to each input variable and then multiplying each partial derivative by the corresponding rate of change of that variable. These values are then added together to obtain the total derivative.