Finding formula for nth derivatives of some functions

In summary, the solution to this problem is to find the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd derivatives, and then find the pattern.
ChiralSuperfields
Homework Statement
Please see below
Relevant Equations
Please see below
For part(a),
1682634812514.png

The solution is,
1682654740676.png

However, I am having trouble understanding their finial formula. Does anybody please know what the floating ellipses mean? I have only seen ellipses that near the bottom like this ##...## I am also confused where they got the ##2 \cdot 1## from.

When solving this problem, in addition to finding the 1st and 2nd derivatives, I also found the 3rd and 4th derivatives, but I guess I didn't need the last two to find the pattern?

Many thanks!

Attachments

• 1682634851194.png
    1682634851194.png
    7.1 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The first one means "and so on until" and the second one means "multiplied by according factors until"

Likes YouAreAwesome and ChiralSuperfields
$$n!= 1\cdot 2 \cdot 3 \cdot \ldots \cdot (n-3)\cdot (n-2)\cdot (n-1)\cdot n $$
but there is no way to write down all factors in between since somewhere we will have to stop writing down natural numbers, and somewhere we will have to arrive at ##n.## The dots are for the factors in between.

Otherwise, we can only explain it by a recursion.
\begin{align*}
1! &= 1\\
n! &=n\cdot (n-1)!\text{ for all }n>1
\end{align*}

Now we have
$$
2!=2\cdot 1!=2\cdot 1=2 \Longrightarrow 3!=3\cdot 2!=3\cdot 2=6 \Longrightarrow \ldots \Longrightarrow n!=n\cdot (n-1)!=n\cdot (n-1)\cdot \ldots\cdot 2 \cdot 1
$$
The dots here mean: Insert the missing statements one by one, from the third to the ##(n-1)##th.

Likes Kumail Haider, YouAreAwesome and ChiralSuperfields
ChiralSuperfields said:
Homework Statement: Please see below
Relevant Equations: Please see below

For part(a),
View attachment 325603
The solution is,
View attachment 325604
However, I am having trouble understanding their finial formula. Does anybody please know what the floating ellipses mean? I have only seen ellipses that near the bottom like this ##...## I am also confused where they got the ##2 \cdot 1## from.

When solving this problem, in addition to finding the 1st and 2nd derivatives, I also found the 3rd and 4th derivatives, but I guess I didn't need the last two to find the pattern?

Many thanks!
I read the three dots to mean, "Keeping following this pattern from my left, and you'll get this next thing to my right". My guess is this is not the official definition. 😀

Likes ChiralSuperfields

1. What is the formula for finding the nth derivative of a function?

The formula for finding the nth derivative of a function is f(n)(x) = f(n-1)(x), where f(n-1)(x) is the (n-1)th derivative of the function. This means that to find the nth derivative, you must take the derivative of the (n-1)th derivative.

2. How do you find the nth derivative using the power rule?

To find the nth derivative of a function using the power rule, you must first take the derivative of the function using the power rule. Then, you must take the derivative of the resulting function using the power rule again. This process must be repeated n times to find the nth derivative.

3. Can the nth derivative of a function be negative?

Yes, the nth derivative of a function can be negative. This can happen when the function has alternating positive and negative values, or when the function has a decreasing slope.

4. Is there a shortcut for finding the nth derivative of a function?

Yes, there is a shortcut for finding the nth derivative of a function. It is called the Leibniz notation, and it involves using the notation f(n)(x) to represent the nth derivative of a function. This notation makes it easier to write and understand the formula for the nth derivative.

5. Can the formula for finding the nth derivative be used for all types of functions?

Yes, the formula for finding the nth derivative can be used for all types of functions, including polynomial, exponential, logarithmic, and trigonometric functions. However, the process for finding the nth derivative may vary depending on the type of function, so it is important to be familiar with the different derivative rules.