What factors affect stopping and directional control in basketball shoes?

In summary, the conversation discussed changing the unit of measurement for velocity to measure it with a motion sensor. It was also mentioned to create a separate table or graph for the friction coefficient using velocities and other information. The use of a drawing board in measuring the coefficient and incorporating variables to maximize friction in basketball shoes was also brought up. Additionally, the importance of being able to stop quickly and change direction in basketball and its relation to friction was mentioned.
potatonecromancer
Homework Statement
"How does the angle of a drawing board affect the friction coefficients of a basketball shoe?"

Would my question still work even if I can't direcrly measure the coefficient? Or should I change the DV variable to velocity, for example--for graphical/raw data + easier to measure, then anaylze the graph/convert/calculate for the coefficients?

I got curious of my basketball shoe's friction coefficient and tried replicating it on the closesr thing i had to a wooden floor.
Relevant Equations
Fr = uN
- Change DV to velocity and measure it with motion sensor
- create separate table/graph of friction coefficient using velocities and other information

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

I'm having trouble understanding what you have posted. What is a "drawing board" in the context of your post? And measuring the ## \mu_S ## of a baskeball shoe on wood should be pretty straightforward, no?

1644594728636.png

https://leenaphysicsbasketball.weebly.com/friction.html

Last edited:
berkeman said:
Welcome to PF.

I'm having trouble understanding what you have posted. What is a "drawing board" in the context of your post? And measuring the ## \mu_S ## of a baskeball shoe on wood should be pretty straightforward, no?

View attachment 296952
https://leenaphysicsbasketball.weebly.com/friction.html
A drawing board is a wooden board, typically with clips at the top and a rubber band near the end, used to hold the paper you are drawing on down.

I'm also not sure on how to measure the coefficient itself to create a raw data table and graph for the ia...
I can "easily" measure the angle in which it start to fall, but i can't rlly direct measure the coefficient, just when it starts to and how far it might for the DV part of my raw data graph

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220211-120456_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20220211-120456_Google.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 54
I think that as long as you add weight to the shoe (I'm not sure how best to do that -- maybe with small rocks?), you should get a good number with the angle measurement where the shoe starts to slip.

Likes potatonecromancer
okay, thank you!

BTW, in the link I posted there are some tips about how to maximize the friction/traction from BB shoes. Be sure to incorporate those variables into your tests.

Also, an important part of BB is being able to stop quickly and change direction. Does that involve ##F_s## or ##F_d## ?

1. What factors should I consider when choosing a potential IA topic?

When choosing a potential IA topic, it is important to consider your interests and strengths, the availability of resources and data, the relevance and significance of the topic, and the feasibility of conducting research on the topic within the given time frame.

2. How can I ensure that my IA topic is original and not already extensively researched?

To ensure that your IA topic is original, you can conduct a literature review to see what has already been researched on the topic. You can also consult with your teacher or supervisor for guidance and advice on potential IA topics.

3. Is it better to choose a broad or narrow topic for my IA?

It is generally recommended to choose a narrow topic for your IA, as this allows for a more in-depth and focused analysis. However, the topic should still be broad enough to provide sufficient scope for research and analysis.

4. Can I change my IA topic once I have started my research?

It is possible to change your IA topic, but it is important to consult with your teacher or supervisor before making any changes. Changing your topic may require you to start your research from scratch, which can be time-consuming and may affect your overall IA grade.

5. How can I ensure that my IA topic is suitable for the subject I am studying?

To ensure that your IA topic is suitable for the subject you are studying, it is important to carefully read and understand the IA guidelines and criteria provided by the IB. You can also discuss your topic with your teacher or supervisor to get their feedback and ensure that it aligns with the subject's requirements.