Creating Vibrations using a Small Device

In summary: Does anybody know of any devices or ideas that would satisfy my needs?In summary, the small sound emitters (a few centimeters/inches) may not be able to create large enough vibrations, and the cell phone vibrators come in sizes rated by the G force they can produce. However, a simple oscillator circuit could be created to produce the desired resonance frequency, and a repurposed loudspeaker coil could be used to amplify the vibrations.
BillIsTheDill
I'm creating something as a side-project, but I've encountered a problem in a field I'm not well-versed in.
There is a material I am looking to excite with a resonance frequency of 50 Hz.
I need the smallest possible device to create the largest amount of vibration, I've looked into some small sound emitters (a few centimeters/inches) but I'm concerned that they won't make large enough vibrations (again, I don't know much about this). Something that could be incorporated into a circuit would be fantastic.
Price is not a concern.
Does anybody know of any devices or ideas that would satisfy my needs?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I could suggest a motor with an unbalanced shaft, or a tiny speaker, or a piezioelectric crystal.

You have to define numerically how small is small and how much vibration is much before we can give you a better answer.

Edit: a single water melcule in a magentic field might qualify as smallest.

Could you tell a little more about why you sasy "resonance frequency of 50 Hz" instead of "frequency of 50 Hz" ? If the natural vibration frequency of whatever it is you want to excite is 50 Hz already, a small force of 50 Hz may already be enough (all you have to compensate for is the damping). Anorlunda's (bass) speaker seems a good idea to me, but you only need the driving parts: a small coil and a magnet.

Likes BillIsTheDill
Here's another http://www.precisionmicrodrives.com/vibrating-vibrator-vibration-motors/pager-motors-erm-motors used to make cell phones vibrate.

But we still don't know if that is small enough or the vibrations big enough to suit your needs.

Likes BillIsTheDill and BvU
What about skipping the speaker part and just going for a solenoid and a stiff spring to reset it? Of course there would be a lot of wear, but that's good ... right?

It could be scaled up to pile driver size if needed, or made tiny.

What do cell phones use for vibrations?

berkeman said:
What do cell phones use for vibrations?

See post #4

anorlunda said:
See post #4

Ah, thanks! I missed that. :smile:

I mentioned in my original post that it should be at most a few centimeters or inches. Thanks for the cell phone motor idea, I'll be trying that one out. The more vibrations, the better though :P

@BvU I just realized, is there any sort of "magnitude" in vibrations (again, not my field)? Like if I had a 50 hz vibration (since that is the resonance frequency), if I change the amount/size of vibration, is there any difference in the output?

BillIsTheDill said:
@BvU I just realized, is there any sort of "magnitude" in vibrations (again, not my field)? Like if I had a 50 hz vibration (since that is the resonance frequency), if I change the amount/size of vibration, is there any difference in the output?

The cell phone vibrators come in sizes rated by the G force they can produce.

I don't know why the 50Hz frequency is important, but it would be easy enough to make a simple oscillator circuit for this frequency,
then amplify it as much as you need and feed it into a coil/magnet setup, just a repurposed loudspeaker coil should do.

Likes billy_joule
BillIsTheDill said:
I'm creating something as a side-project, but I've encountered a problem in a field I'm not well-versed in.
There is a material I am looking to excite with a resonance frequency of 50 Hz.

What's your target application?

BillIsTheDill said:
In first order 'all' systems are linear and response is proportional to excitation (see the wiki oscilator links). But around resonance non-linearities come into limit that proportionality. In other words: it depends...

rootone said:
I don't know why the 50Hz frequency is important, but it would be easy enough to make a simple oscillator circuit for this frequency,
then amplify it as much as you need and feed it into a coil/magnet setup, just a repurposed loudspeaker coil should do.
If that were the 'best' solution then that's what all the highly paid design Engineers would have put in their phones. The point about using a motor and an eccentric wheel is that the system is very well matched (acoustic impedance) to the body of the phone. It is Efficient. The 'dis'advantage could be that the frequency would be pretty well fixed.

I'm not suggesting it's the most efficient solution, just an easy and inexpensive one.
I don't know what the end purpose for the device is.

rootone said:
I'm not suggesting it's the most efficient solution, just an easy and inexpensive one.
I don't know what the end purpose for the device is.
If this device is to be as tiny as the OP seems to indicate then the efficiency could be very low indeed. And I'm not talking about Running Costs; I'm talking about conversion of Electrical Power to mechanical power. The size of magnet and voice coil needed would be considerable. The good thing about a motor is that the energy builds up over a number of cycles, reducing the running power required for the actuator (motor). Needless to say, if he wants a 1kHz beeper, the motor would not be the right solution.

Depends really whether OP wants a device which is small in total or just small at point of application and on what the actual usage is to be .

Many ways of having a powerful sound/vibration generator in a relatively large unit and then conducting sound/vibration to point of application .

At crudest an old fashioned buzzer mechanism and a lightweight drive rod .

Need to know more otherwise guessing in the dark .

What is the purpose of creating vibrations using a small device?

The purpose of creating vibrations using a small device is to transfer energy into a system or object. This can be used for various purposes such as testing the durability of a material, measuring structural integrity, or inducing motion in a specific direction.

What types of devices are used to create vibrations?

There are various types of devices that can be used to create vibrations, such as shakers, vibrators, or ultrasonic devices. These devices typically use an external power source, such as electricity, to generate vibrations of different frequencies and amplitudes.

How are vibrations measured and controlled?

Vibrations can be measured using accelerometers, which are sensors that detect and measure the acceleration of an object. They can also be controlled by adjusting the frequency and amplitude of the vibrations using the device's settings or by using external control systems.

What are some applications of creating vibrations using a small device?

Creating vibrations using a small device has a wide range of applications. It can be used in industries such as aerospace, automotive, and construction for testing and quality control purposes. It can also be used in medical devices, such as ultrasound machines, for diagnostic and therapeutic purposes.

Are there any potential risks associated with creating vibrations using a small device?

Yes, there are potential risks associated with creating vibrations using a small device. These include noise pollution, structural damage, and potential harm to living organisms. It is important to carefully control and monitor the vibrations to minimize these risks.