What field contains more physics in computational physics

In summary, the speaker is a Ph.D. student who is interested in finding a field in computational physics that combines both physics and computation. They are currently in a DFT calculation group but feel that it lacks creativity and want to explore other options in the condensed matter physics field. They are specifically interested in topological insulators and are seeking suggestions for further research.
taishizhiqiu
I am now a Ph.D. student just finishing my first year. According to my strengths, I think I should find my way in computational physics. The 'traditional' field of my advisor's group is DFT calculation. However, I think DFT calculation are more like procedures and does not contain much physics and creativity.

So, I want to find a field which contains both a lot of physics and computation(And of course, in condensed matter physics field). Is there any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
DEvens said:
Have you looked here?

http://arxiv.org/archive/cond-mat

Maybe if you see a paper that does work you are interested in, you can look farther.
I know, but I want a special topic, like topological insulator

Related to What field contains more physics in computational physics

1. What is computational physics?

Computational physics is a branch of physics that uses computer algorithms and simulations to solve complex problems and analyze data. It combines principles of physics, mathematics, and computer science to study physical systems and phenomena.

2. How does computational physics differ from theoretical and experimental physics?

Computational physics differs from theoretical physics in that it uses numerical methods and simulations to solve problems, rather than analytical solutions. It also differs from experimental physics in that it relies on computer simulations instead of physical experiments.

3. What fields contain more physics in computational physics?

Computational physics is a broad field that encompasses many different areas of physics, including astrophysics, quantum mechanics, fluid dynamics, and materials science. However, it is most commonly used in fields that involve complex systems and phenomena, such as weather forecasting, cosmology, and molecular dynamics.

4. What are some common tools and techniques used in computational physics?

Some common tools and techniques used in computational physics include numerical methods, such as finite difference and finite element methods, as well as computer programming languages like Python, MATLAB, and FORTRAN. Other tools, such as Monte Carlo simulations and molecular dynamics simulations, are also commonly used in specific fields.

5. What are the potential applications of computational physics?

Computational physics has a wide range of potential applications, including predicting and analyzing weather patterns, simulating the behavior of materials at the atomic level, and studying the evolution of the universe. It also has applications in engineering, medicine, and finance.