What foods do you eat before doing math?

• Thread starter GirlInDoubt
  • Start date
In summary, the group discusses the foods they eat before studying, particularly for mentally taxing subjects like math, physics, and chemistry. Some recommend eating salmon for its essential fatty acids, while others find that staying hydrated and drinking coffee are more important. Some mention eating hamburgers, pizza, watercress, mushrooms, jellybeans, pasta, and red meat before studying specific subjects. Others find that not eating in the morning or eating healthy foods regularly works best for them. Overall, the group agrees that finding the right foods to eat before studying is important for maintaining focus and concentration.
GirlInDoubt
What foods do you eat before doing math? I find that I need to eat a lot of starch to remain focused and alert enough to do math. How about you? Or does it not matter for you? What foods increase your effectiveness when studying, particularly subjects that are mentally taxing, like math, physics, and chemistry?

Physics news on Phys.org
Salmon, because it contains essential fatty acids that are precursors
for neurotransmitters.

Thanks for responding! yeah, I try to take fish oil capsules because I've heard that it does help improve brain function.

Do you eat salmon right before studying? And do you notice a significant improvement? Thanks so much

It doesn't matter much to me. I don't feel that foods increase my effectiveness at maths, physics. I just try to stay well hydrated, drink plenty of water, my mum also tells me to eat plenty of nuts, their supposed to "help my brain"

GirlInDoubt said:
What foods do you eat before doing math? I find that I need to eat a lot of starch to remain focused and alert enough to do math. How about you? Or does it not matter for you? What foods increase your effectiveness when studying, particularly subjects that are mentally taxing, like math, physics, and chemistry?

Alot of Hamburgers and Pizzas

It's not what one eats that is import so much as what one drinks. And that's coffee. A mathematician is a machine for turning coffee into theorems.

D H said:
A mathematician is a machine for turning coffee into theorems.

And a comathematician is a comachine for turning ffee into cotheorems.

So if you want to be a comathematician, then you need to drink ffee...

Just googled what ffee is...

new_ffee_custom_box.jpg

and

ready_for_summer_ffee.jpg

(Note the logo on the shirt.)Yep! :smile:

Everything a comathematician needs.

Last edited:
For maths I need watercress. I find that when I do physics, it's best if I eat a few mushrooms first, but for chemistry I always need to be full of jellybeans.

Lots of carbs (pasta, etc) if I'm doing algebra. Red meat before analysis.

Number Nine said:
Lots of carbs (pasta, etc) if I'm doing algebra. Red meat before analysis.

Interesting! I find it is the same for me; I have to eat a lot of carbs or else I can't focus. My mind gets fuzzy. Anyone else has this problem?

Nothing in the morning. I don't eat anything until the afternoon.

It doesn't seem to matter what I eat in the afternoon either.

I tend to eat healthy. Every day, that is. Having a habit of eating healthy foods each and every day probably works much better than cramming the 'perfect' food in your my right before practicing math. On the other hand, I have found that eating a lot of junk food right before trying to do something intellectually rigurous, I am much less able to concentrate.

Closed pending moderation.

1. What are the best foods to eat before doing math?

The best foods to eat before doing math are those that are high in protein, complex carbohydrates, and healthy fats. These include foods such as eggs, oatmeal, Greek yogurt, nuts and seeds, and avocado. These foods provide sustained energy and can help improve brain function.

2. Is it important to eat before doing math?

Yes, it is important to eat before doing math. Our brains require energy to function properly, and when we skip meals or don't eat enough, our brain function can suffer. Eating a balanced meal before doing math can help improve focus and concentration.

3. Are there any foods I should avoid before doing math?

Avoiding heavy, greasy, and sugary foods before doing math is recommended. These types of foods can make you feel sluggish and can affect your ability to focus and think clearly. It's also important to avoid overeating, as this can make you feel too full and uncomfortable.

4. Can certain foods help improve my math abilities?

While there is no specific food that can magically improve your math abilities, eating a balanced and nutritious diet can certainly have a positive impact on your brain function. Eating foods high in omega-3 fatty acids, such as salmon and walnuts, may also have cognitive benefits.

5. How soon before doing math should I eat?

It's recommended to eat a meal or snack 1-2 hours before doing math. This gives your body enough time to digest the food and provide energy to your brain. Eating too close to when you need to focus on math may make you feel too full or cause discomfort.