What Forces are Involved in a Tennis Ball Pitching Machine Design?

In summary: .In summary, the machine will use two spinning wheels to launch the tennis balls. The velocity of the balls will be determined by the equation R=v^2 sin⁡2θ. The wheels will need to be spinning at 1299.36 rpm in order to achieve the desired exit velocity.
minnicaj
I'm trying to design a automatic tennis ball pitching machine for my senior design project. I will be using two spinning wheels as the launching mechanism. So far I've found the initial velocity after the ball leaves the two spinning wheels (v = 33.398 ft/s). This velocity was found by using the equation R=v^2 sin⁡2θ. Right now I'm having trouble figuring out the forces while the ball is in contact with the two rotating wheels.

One rotating wheel:
Diameter - 6 inches
weight - 1.5 lbs
circumference = 1.57 ft

Tennis ball:
weight: 0.026 lbs
diameter: 2.7 inches

So far the equation I've been using to try and solve this is:
mv_1+∑▒〖∫_(t_1)^(t_2)▒Fdt=mv_2 〗

My professor told me I need to find the forces involved while the ball is in contact with the two wheels so I can calculate the torque needed and select a motor.

Also I've found the rpm's that the wheels would need to be spinning for the ball to have the exit velocity needed to be 1299.36 rpm.

I've also added a picture trying to illustrate my problem and what I've done so far.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Attachments

• visual depiction pitching machine.jpg
    visual depiction pitching machine.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 2,981
Physics news on Phys.org
You'd have to make some fairly rough approximations to get a decent estimate of the force. However, I don't think that's really needed. With wheels of reasonable mass, the energy to launch the tennis balls will come from the stored kinetic energy of the wheels, not directly from the motor. So, a better analysis would be to determine how much energy is transferred to the tennis ball during launch, and then calculating how much the wheels will slow down in the process. If the analysis shows that the wheels will slow down too much, then increase the mass of the wheels until it is not a problem. Once that analysis is done, the motor can be selected based on the mass of the wheels.

how could I calculate how much energy is transferred to the ball during the launch? Can I accomplish this through equations and calculations or would I need to actually purchase parts and test this to get more data?

On some of these "pitching" machines the wheels can rotate at different speeds, in order to put a spin on the ball. There are table tennis machines that also use two wheels, but sometimes spins one of the wheels backwards (with the other going forwards much faster) in order to generate a lot of spin. I don't think you can get that amount of spin in tennis though, so just a difference in speed (as opposed to opposite spinning) would be enough to give top spin and back spin (slice).

would like to see the final design of your http://www.sportsmachineshop.com/" .

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:

Related to What Forces are Involved in a Tennis Ball Pitching Machine Design?

1. What is a tennis ball pitching machine?

A tennis ball pitching machine is a mechanical device that is designed to throw tennis balls at various speeds and angles to simulate the batting experience for players. It is commonly used in training and practice sessions for tennis players.

2. How does a tennis ball pitching machine work?

A tennis ball pitching machine works by using a motor to rotate a wheel or a disc at high speeds, which then launches the tennis ball through a tube or chute. The speed and angle of the ball can be adjusted by changing the settings on the machine.

3. What are the benefits of using a tennis ball pitching machine?

Using a tennis ball pitching machine has several benefits, such as improving hand-eye coordination, reaction time, and overall performance in hitting tennis balls. It also allows players to practice hitting different types of shots and develop consistency in their swings.

4. Can a tennis ball pitching machine be used for other sports?

While a tennis ball pitching machine is primarily designed for tennis, it can also be used for other sports such as baseball and softball. By adjusting the settings, the machine can throw balls at different speeds and angles to simulate the pitching experience in these sports as well.

5. Is a tennis ball pitching machine suitable for all skill levels?

Yes, a tennis ball pitching machine can be used by players of all skill levels. It can be adjusted to throw balls at low speeds for beginners and at higher speeds for advanced players. It is also a great tool for coaches to use in training players of different skill levels.