What gauge wire to use? noob circuits

In summary, for this setup, it is recommended to use 16 AWG copper wire for runs up to 10 feet and 24 AWG for shorter runs. The wires should be rated for chassis wiring and have appropriate insulation for the expected ambient temperature. The gauge of the wire depends on the amount of amperage and length of the run.
Sam_A
2 sets of 6x LED strips, each 12v 8.1a 97.2W, powered by a single cv 240W PSU, in parallel. The 2 sets are split at the PSU end, each set getting 120W separately. Schematic below,
2017-07-15 12.28.29.jpg

What I don't know is what gauge wire to use at points A and B? Can you please explain what should be used and why?

I looked at the AWG chart and I don't understand chassis wiring and power transmission wiring. What category do my wires fall under?
awgchart.jpg

Also, I haven't figured out yet how long exactly will my wires be at point A and B. I know length of the wire has some effect on the gauges, but don't know what effect. Can anybody please present a general guideline or pattern describing what happens as I increase or decrease my wire length?
Much appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Sam_A said:
2 sets of 6x LED strips, each 12v 8.1a 97.2W, powered by a single cv 240W PSU, in parallel. The 2 sets are split at the PSU end, each set getting 120W separately. Schematic below,
View attachment 207259

What I don't know is what gauge wire to use at points A and B? Can you please explain what should be used and why?

I looked at the AWG chart and I don't understand chassis wiring and power transmission wiring. What category do my wires fall under?!
For what you are doing it would be considered chassis wiring. Power transmission wiring usually refers to the aluminum, or aluminum/copper clad wires used for high voltage transmission lines. I don't know what they are referring to in the above chart.

What is a wire?
  • Conductor material (copper, tinned copper, aluminum, nickel, silver, etc.).
  • # of strands (1 strand = solid, as in house wiring, or multiple strands of lighter gauge wire, i.,e. - 7x32 is 7 strands of 32 AWG)
  • Insulation material (cloth, rubber, plastic, mica, etc.), thickness, temperature and voltage limits.
What type of wire is appropriate depends on what it is used for. For instance, solid wire is fine for house wiring, but a very poor choice where a lot of flexing is involved. Spark plug wires have very thick insulation because they must operate at high voltage. Cloth covered, silicone rubber insulated copper wire is a good choice for motor leads, but TGGT or (Teflon-Glass-Glass-Teflon) or MG (Mica-Glass) nickel-alloy wire must be used inside industrial ovens, and other high temperature environments. A lot of it boils down to how hot the wire can be allowed to be. Ambient temperature matters, as does whether it is a single conductor in free air (good cooling), or multiple conductors enclosed within conduit.

For 8.1 amps, 16 AWG copper covers all the bases, but for short runs in open air at room temperature you can get away with wire as small as 20 AWG.

For each set of (6) 8.1A light bars, the wires to the power supply carry 48.6 amps.

What I don't understand is how a 20A, 240W power supply will work with 16 light bars at 8.1 amps each (1166W).

Last edited:
Likes berkeman and Sam_A
Asymptotic said:
For 8.1 amps, 16 AWG copper covers all the bases, but for short runs in open air at room temperature you can get away with wire as small as 20 AWG.
What would you recommend for my setup? How short exactly is a short run?

To give some dimensions, the (A) 8.1a wire(s) will be 6-10 feet each, and the (B) 1.35a wires will be 10-15cm.

The ambient temperature I don't expect to rise past 40C. Mostly, I expect it in the 25-32C range.

Oh, I misunderstood.
If each light bar is 1.35A, their 10 to 15 cm runs can be 24 AWG.
16 AWG is still a good choice for 6 to 10 foot runs of the (A) wires.

1. What is wire gauge and why is it important for circuits?

Wire gauge refers to the thickness or diameter of a wire. It is important for circuits because the thickness of the wire affects its ability to carry electrical current. Using the correct wire gauge ensures that the wire can safely handle the amount of current required by the circuit.

2. How do I determine the appropriate wire gauge for my circuit?

The appropriate wire gauge for a circuit depends on several factors, including the amount of current the circuit will carry, the length of the wire, and the type of wire (e.g. solid or stranded). You can refer to a wire gauge chart or use an online calculator to help determine the appropriate gauge for your specific circuit.

3. Can I use a smaller gauge wire than recommended for my circuit?

No, it is not recommended to use a smaller gauge wire than what is recommended for your circuit. Using a smaller gauge wire can lead to overheating and potentially cause a fire. It is always best to use the appropriate wire gauge for your circuit.

4. Is there a difference between American Wire Gauge (AWG) and Standard Wire Gauge (SWG)?

Yes, there is a difference between AWG and SWG. AWG is the most commonly used standard for wire gauge in the United States, while SWG is used in countries such as the United Kingdom and Canada. The main difference between the two is that SWG has a larger gauge number for the same diameter wire compared to AWG.

5. Can I mix wire gauges in the same circuit?

No, it is not recommended to mix wire gauges in the same circuit. This can cause uneven distribution of current and potentially lead to overheating and damage to the circuit. It is best to use the same gauge wire throughout the entire circuit.