What happens to forces in biomechanics when an object is starting to tip?

In summary, the conversation is about a question that requires the use of torques to find the answer. The person asking for help is unsure of how to solve the problem and write equations for it. They are advised to consider the equations they have been taught and to think about the forces and points involved if the object starts to tip. The person then shares their attempt at the question and asks about unbalanced forces and the normal force from the ground. The expert summarizer emphasizes the importance of paying attention to the lines of action of forces in torque questions and encourages the person to think about the situation further.
snav96

Homework Statement

http://tinypic.com/r/sebqc1/8

Homework Equations

can anyone help me with this question? I know i have to use torques to find the answer but i have no idea how to solve it and write equations for it.
thanks

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
snav96 said:

Homework Statement

http://tinypic.com/r/sebqc1/8

Homework Equations

can anyone help me with this question? I know i have to use torques to find the answer but i have no idea how to solve it and write equations for it.
thanks

The Attempt at a Solution

Yes, you need to use torques. What equations have you been taught relating to torques?
If it does start to tip, what will the forces on the object be, in what directions, and acting through what points?

haruspex said:
Yes, you need to use torques. What equations have you been taught relating to torques?
If it does start to tip, what will the forces on the object be, in what directions, and acting through what points?

http://tinypic.com/r/161m64l/8
this is my attempt at the question.
if it tips would the forces along the y-axis get unbalanced? N> mg ?

snav96 said:
http://tinypic.com/r/161m64l/8
this is my attempt at the question.
if it tips would the forces along the y-axis get unbalanced? N> mg ?
If the y-axis forces are unbalanced, there would be a nonzero net vertical force. What would result from that?
In torque questions you have to pay close attention to the lines of action of forces.
Take it a little further... suppose it is starting to tip. Where is the normal force from the ground?

1. What is biomechanics?

Biomechanics is the study of the movement and forces of living organisms, including humans and animals. It combines principles of physics and engineering to understand how the body moves and responds to external forces.

2. How do forces affect biomechanics?

Forces play a crucial role in biomechanics as they are responsible for generating and controlling movement in the body. Forces can be internal, such as muscles pulling on bones, or external, such as gravity or resistance from the environment.

3. What are the different types of forces in biomechanics?

There are four main types of forces in biomechanics: compression, tension, shear, and bending. Compression forces push or squeeze objects together, tension forces pull objects apart, shear forces cause one part of an object to move parallel to another part, and bending forces cause an object to bend or flex.

4. How are forces measured in biomechanics?

Forces can be measured using devices such as force plates, dynamometers, and strain gauges. These instruments can measure the magnitude, direction, and point of application of a force, allowing researchers to analyze the forces involved in movement.

5. How is biomechanics used in sports and exercise?

Biomechanics is used in sports and exercise to improve performance, prevent injuries, and design equipment. By analyzing the forces involved in different movements, trainers and coaches can identify areas for improvement and develop training programs to optimize performance and reduce the risk of injury.