What Happens to Free Electrons in a Vacuum When Used with Dielectric Materials?

• Thread starter Psionic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dielectrics
In summary,Chris said that if you run an electrode on AC with a high frequency source, the free electrons in the vacuum will move across the gap. Additionally, if air is in the gap and there is enough voltage to ionize it, free electrons will move back and forth.
Psionic
hi everyone, I've got a question.

say i have two electrode plates placed pretty close together, with two pieces of a ceramic high dielectric constant material.. x7r class ceramics for instance, in between the two plates, with a gap in the middle of these two ceramic inserts, filled with vacuum.

like so:
| = electrode
: = high dielectric constant material.

|: :|

now, if i ran this electrode on AC, with a much higher than 120HZ source.

what would happen to any free electrons in the vacuum?

from what i understand about capacitors what would happen is that the electrons in the vacuum would be moved quite quickly across the gap, given enough voltage to normally cause an arc to form.
this processes would repeat and the electrons would move across the gap in the opposite direction, and again and again as the AC source continued. there wouldn't be that much absorption of the free electrons
since the ceramic has such a high dielectric constant.

is this correct, or am i missing something basic that would cause free electrons in the vacuum to move through the dielectrics?

similarly, what would happen when air was in the gap, and there was enough voltage to ionize the air?

thanks,

chris.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
How can there be free electrons in a vacuum? Is there something I'm missing here?

re: Defennder

well there could be electrons injected into the vacuum i think.. i looked up "electrons in vacuum" on google and there's lots about laser acceleration of electrons in a vacuum.

and i mean.. wikipedia dude:

'Electrons in an atom are bound to that atom, while electrons moving freely in vacuum, space or certain media are free electrons that can be focused into an electron beam'

the 'electrons moving freely in vacuum' seems to have pretty much exactly the language i stated.

pretty basic.

Last edited:
I suppose the free electrons would move back and forth given AC excitation. Sort of like moving static charge back and forth.

Electrons are not necessarily bound to the metallic surface.
Surface smoothness has a lot to do with this.
So yes free electrons are possible between capacitor plates.
This goes into the leakage parameter associated with capacitors.
As Berkeman mentions they tend to go back and forth with AC excitation.

Recently a cathode optimizing this effect, using carbon nanotubes, has been developed that allows construction of a low voltage vacuum tube without a heater.

Not entirely certain of the current status, but I think there are now some commercial devices utilizing this effect as opposed to just research only devices.

re: notime

thanks for the response.

would increased surface smoothness make it so that there would be less free electrons, or more?

Psionic said:
re: notime

thanks for the response.

would increased surface smoothness make it so that there would be less free electrons, or more?
Less.
Sharp pointy bits tend to emit free electrons.

"Recently a cathode optimizing this effect, using carbon nanotubes, has been developed that allows construction of a low voltage vacuum tube without a heater."

Cool. I'm lazy. Do you have a link?

1. What are dielectrics and how do they work?

Dielectrics are materials that do not conduct electricity. They work by polarizing the molecules within them when an electric field is applied, which creates an internal electric field that opposes the external field. This results in the reduction of the overall electric field within the material.

2. What is the purpose of using dielectrics in electronic devices?

Dielectrics are used in electronic devices to insulate and protect the conductive parts from coming into contact with each other. They also help to increase capacitance and reduce the effects of unwanted electrical signals or interference.

3. How do the properties of a dielectric affect its performance?

The properties of a dielectric, such as its dielectric constant, breakdown strength, and thermal stability, can greatly affect its performance. A higher dielectric constant means a greater ability to store charge, while a higher breakdown strength means it can withstand higher voltages. A dielectric with good thermal stability will maintain its properties over a range of temperatures.

4. Can dielectrics be used in high voltage applications?

Yes, dielectrics can be used in high voltage applications. They are often used in capacitors to store and handle high voltages. However, the dielectric material must have a high breakdown strength to withstand the high voltage without breaking down.

5. What are some common types of dielectric materials?

Some common types of dielectric materials include ceramics, plastics, glass, and oils. Each type has different properties and is suitable for different applications. For example, ceramics are commonly used in capacitors, while oils are used in transformers.