What is the role of displacement currents in a circuit?

In summary: So in summary, at high frequencies (frequencies above the frequency of the electric field) the electric field will cause a current in the gap between the electrodes. This current is not the movement of electrons, it is just a tiny trickle of current. If there is no ground electrode, then the potential at the ground electrode will be undefined and the electrons will just randomly wander around.
Phoenix279
Please help me with this. I am having a hard time understanding the role of displacement currents in a circus. The common knowledge is actual current is the movement of electron in a circus. Now, if there is a gap and an AC source, there would be an electric displacement field and a displacement current in that gap. But that displacement current is not the movement of electrons. Then what happen with the electrons once they reach one end of the gap? Where do they go? And what happen to the ground electrode of that circus if there is no electron to ground?
I am sorry if this question seams silly to you, but this is not my strong point so please be patient and help me. Thank you!

Engineering news on Phys.org
I guess you mean circuit and not circus hehe.

The electrons when they reach one end of the gap they stay there and accumulate. The two edges of gap can be modeled as some sort of capacitor with very small capacitance C, and because the capacitance is small, even in an AC driven circuit the current I (both the displacement current and the electron current) will be very small when we have a gap. However if the frequency ##\omega## of the AC becomes very large, then because ##\omega C## will not be so small and so the current will not be so small either.

I am not sure I understand your second question, but if you mean that the ground electrode is not connected to some big and good electricity conductor then all that it happens is that the potential at the ground electrode will not actually be 0, as we want it to be.

Last edited:
Likes Phoenix279
Hello Delta, thank you for your answer. And sorry about my English keke.

So if the two edges work like a capacitor then with an AC source, it would be like the continuously charging and discharging cycles of the capacitor. I can imagine that without a grounding conductor. But then if the system is ground, I mean the role of grounding is to lead exceed electrons through a conductor to the ground right. Then if there is a lost of electron on one side, how can the process of recharge continue?
Please see the picture to understand what I mean.

Attachments

• 2016-12-02_172620.png
    2016-12-02_172620.png
    1.9 KB · Views: 429
You basically mean that there is a leakage current to/from the ground (electrons that come from or go to the ground). Yes this is true, but for small frequencies and with the simplifying assumptions made in circuit theory it is neglected. Only if you want to do complete field analysis of the circuit, you take into account such currents.

Likes Phoenix279
Delta² said:
You basically mean that there is a leakage current to/from the ground (electrons that come from or go to the ground). Yes this is true, but for small frequencies and with the simplifying assumptions made in circuit theory it is neglected. Only if you want to do complete field analysis of the circuit, you take into account such currents.
Thank you Delta!

1. What are displacement currents?

Displacement currents are electric currents that are created due to a changing electric field in a region of space, rather than a flow of charged particles. They are a fundamental part of electromagnetism and were first described by James Clerk Maxwell in his famous equations.

2. How do displacement currents differ from conduction currents?

Unlike conduction currents, which are caused by the flow of charged particles, displacement currents are created by a changing electric field. Conduction currents are typically found in conductors, while displacement currents can exist in insulators as well.

3. What is the role of displacement currents in a circuit?

Displacement currents play a crucial role in the functioning of circuits. They are responsible for the propagation of electromagnetic waves, such as radio waves, and are also involved in the charging and discharging of capacitors. In addition, they contribute to the overall behavior of circuits and can affect the flow of current.

4. How are displacement currents calculated?

Displacement currents are calculated using Maxwell's equations, which describe the relationship between electric and magnetic fields in a region of space. These equations involve parameters such as the electric permittivity and magnetic permeability of the medium in which the displacement current is occurring.

5. Can displacement currents be observed in everyday life?

Yes, displacement currents can be observed in various phenomena in everyday life. For example, they are involved in the operation of household appliances such as microwaves and radios. They are also responsible for the functioning of antennas and the transmission of radio and TV signals. Additionally, displacement currents play a role in the Earth's atmosphere and can be observed in lightning strikes and the aurora borealis.