What happens to the current when an electric motor slows to a halt?

In summary, when an electric motor slows to a halt, the current in the primary input line will increase due to the absence of a reverse Faraday EMF. This is known as the "Locked Rotor Amps" in AC motors and "Stall Current" in DC motors. In some cases, this high current can cause damage to the windings and insulation. It is important to be cautious when using vacuum cleaner motors for hobby projects, as they can produce extreme RPM.
jojo13
If a motor slowed to a halt, will the current go up or down

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
This looks a little like a homework question, but I'll assume it isn't.## \\ ## I believe when an electric motor is rotating, it causes a reverse Faraday EMF in the primary current input line, thereby making for a lower current than what occurs if the motor is not rotating. When not rotating, it has a considerably higher current. ## \\ ## I think @jim hardy is our expert in this area. Perhaps he can also give an input.

Charles Link said:
This looks a little like a homework question, but I'll assume it isn't.## \\ ## I believe when an electric motor is rotating, it causes a reverse Faraday EMF in the primary current input line, thereby making for a lower current than what occurs if the motor is not rotating. When not rotating, it has a considerably higher current. ## \\ ## I think @jim hardy is our expert in this area. Perhaps he can also give an input.

Yeah, I was thinking it would then go up

Last edited:
Likes Charles Link
@Charles Link is correct.

in AC motors it's called ":Locked Rotor Amps" and is designated by a letter KVA code.
see https://www.industry.usa.siemens.co...pp-man-section5-part2-speed-torque-curves.pdf
upload_2018-8-23_19-6-56.png

in DC motors it's called "Stall Current" and can be ten or twenty times running current,

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-23_19-6-56.png
    upload_2018-8-23_19-6-56.png
    24.3 KB · Views: 699
Likes Fisherman199, Babadag, Asymptotic and 1 other person
jojo13 said:
Yeah, I was thinking the current would then increase
You didn't answer his question about whether this is homework.

Perhaps with this one, the most frequently occurring case is the vacuum cleaner when it gets tangled with some string or other material that keeps the motor from turning. Other examples are electric drills and electric saws getting stuck.## \\ ## Please correct me @jim hardy if this is not the case: When this condition occurs, currents are going through stationary windings, that have a voltage applied to them, that are designed to turn. With no reverse EMF (from the motion of the windings in the magnetic field of the motor) to make a lower net voltage, the currents are much higher, and in some cases could be high enough to burn out the windings, including the insulation on the windings.

Charles Link said:
Please correct me @jim hardy if this is not the case:
that's exactly the case.
the DC motor is easiest to visualize - when it's not moving the only opposition to current flow is resistance of the windings.
So current becomes quite high.

of course one can build a DC motor with resistance high enough to tolerate being stalled,
but at the expense of its having not a lot of torque.
You'd want that in an automobile electric window motor .
for It has to survive kids playing with the buttons
and you'd want it not powerful enough to break the kid's arm.

Likes Asymptotic, Charles Link and Babadag
I agree with Jim.
A universal motor is typically used as suction motor across vacuum cleaners and not an induction motor. The universal motor is a series DC-motor that is specially designed to operate on alternating current (AC) as well as on direct current (DC).
Universal motors have high starting torque, operate at high speed, and are lightweight.
The maximum armature [and field] current is limited by circuit impedance [resistance].
If the windings are not damaged then the maximum current has to be less than the admissible.

upload_2018-8-24_10-43-41.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-24_10-43-41.png
    upload_2018-8-24_10-43-41.png
    19.8 KB · Views: 776
Likes jim hardy and Charles Link
Thanks @Babadag
Vacuum cleaners need more RPM than an induction motor can provide.. That's because they use a small diameter impeller in the centrifugal fan that develops differential pressure .

So to you DIYers - beware of vacuum cleaner motors for hobby projects.
They produce extreme RPM .
When i was about twelve i fitted a brass blade from a floor fan to a vacuum cleaner motor.
The blades flew apart embedding metal shards in the floor, ceiling and furniture. Luckily none hit us kids.

So keep a watchful eye on your " budding mad scientist's " experiments. Stick to non-brushed motors.

old jim

Likes sophiecentaur, dlgoff, Fisherman199 and 3 others
In response to the initial question we would need more detail, there are many reasons for a motor to slow to a halt but I assume we are talking about motor failing to carry on with the work it is trying to do possibly for mechanical failure while still been fully energised to do the work, several other scenarios exist that may cause a motor to slow to a halt with differing results, some by design and some by some sort of electrical or mechanical failure that can effect motor behaviour. I also have to assume we are negating protection here to expand on the consequences of say a locked rotor.

1. How does an electric motor work?

An electric motor works by converting electrical energy into mechanical energy. This is achieved through the interaction of magnetic fields generated by the flow of current through a wire or coil, and permanent magnets. The flow of current creates a force that causes the motor to rotate, converting the electrical energy into mechanical energy.

2. What are the main components of an electric motor?

The main components of an electric motor include a stator, rotor, and commutator. The stator is a stationary component that contains the magnets or magnetic fields. The rotor is the rotating part of the motor, usually made of copper or aluminum wire coils. The commutator is a mechanical switch that controls the flow of current to the rotor, allowing it to rotate.

3. What are the different types of electric motors?

There are several types of electric motors, including DC motors, AC motors, single-phase motors, and three-phase motors. DC motors are powered by direct current and are commonly used in household appliances. AC motors are powered by alternating current and are used in industrial equipment. Single-phase motors are used in smaller applications, while three-phase motors are used in larger industrial applications.

4. What are the advantages of using an electric motor?

There are many advantages to using an electric motor. They are efficient, reliable, and have a long lifespan. They also produce no emissions, making them environmentally friendly. Electric motors are also easily controllable and can be used in a variety of applications, from household appliances to industrial machinery.

5. How do you troubleshoot problems with an electric motor?

If an electric motor is not functioning properly, there are a few steps you can take to troubleshoot the problem. First, check for any loose connections or damaged wires. Next, make sure the power source is working correctly. If these do not solve the issue, you may need to check the motor's components, such as the brushes or bearings, for any signs of wear or damage. If the problem persists, it may be best to consult a professional for further assistance.