What happens when electric current is distributed in the material?

In summary, when supplying electricity to the material, the shape of the material may or may not be square.
Another
TL;DR Summary
What happens when electric current is distributed in the material(Non-metal)?
When supplying electricity to the material. the shape of the material may or may not be square.
This material may be

This material may be moisture materials or solid materials that may conduct electricity.
pic 1ss.png

I would like to know the travel characteristics of electric currents and the potential difference in each position of the material.
How will be distributed?
pic 2ss.png

Is there a topic or theory that explains this behavior? Please advise me to study.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I believe that the vector form of Ohm's law in combined with Ampere's circuital law can be applied.

J = σ E

where J is the current density at a given location in a resistive material, E is the electric field at that location, and σ (sigma) is a material-dependent parameter called the conductivity

Last edited:
Likes Another
Another said:
Summary:: What happens when electric current is distributed in the material(Non-metal)?

I would like to know the travel characteristics of electric currents and the potential difference in each position of the material.
How will be distributed?
Well, that depends on the state of the material and the environment. A research institute I worked for 40 years ago used this principle for detecting internal cracks in oil pipes. You run a high current through the material and measure the magnetic field between the poles (the current and the field will "wrap around" any cracks).

Likes sysprog
Another said:
Summary:: What happens when electric current is distributed in the material(Non-metal)?

How will be distributed?
That's not a simple question. By the way, you have a 3D object, not 2D.

Semiconductor device designers consider exactly that question. For example:

1576683331939.png

There are also analytic methods as in
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sou...aw19xF9WbQbgd0CFFKQrv87b&ust=1576769471286070
1576683720744.png

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sou...aw19xF9WbQbgd0CFFKQrv87b&ust=1576769471286070

If the external voltage is not constant in time, there are also eddy currents, surface currents, and transient solutions to consider. This is no simple answer to your question. I expect that many PhD theses have been written on that question.

Likes Lord Jestocost and sysprog
Another said:

One way to approximately get such data is an equivalent circuit simulation by modelling the material as a 3D resistor network.

Likes anorlunda
A point has no area so the resistance of a point contact is infinite. The current density at a point contact is also infinite. While voltage measurements can be made at points, the current density pattern in a resistive material must be specified between defined contact areas, not between point contacts.

Analytic solutions require restriction of the contact areas and boundary conditions to idealised geometry.

Electric field patterns and current flow in real-world bounded-solids are often solved using finite element numerical relaxation techniques.

1. What is electric current?

Electric current is the flow of electric charge through a material. It is typically measured in units of amperes (A).

2. How is electric current distributed in a material?

Electric current is distributed in a material through the movement of charged particles, such as electrons, within the material. The distribution of current depends on the material's conductivity and the strength of the electric field applied.

3. What factors affect the distribution of electric current in a material?

The distribution of electric current in a material is affected by its conductivity, resistivity, and the strength and direction of the electric field applied. Other factors, such as temperature and the presence of impurities, can also impact the distribution of current.

4. What happens to a material when electric current is distributed through it?

When electric current is distributed through a material, it can cause various effects depending on the properties of the material. These effects can include heating, magnetic fields, and chemical reactions. In some cases, the material may also exhibit changes in its electrical properties.

5. How can the distribution of electric current be controlled in a material?

The distribution of electric current in a material can be controlled by adjusting the strength and direction of the electric field applied, as well as by changing the material's properties through factors such as temperature and impurities. Additionally, using materials with different conductivity levels can also affect the distribution of current.