What happens when lightning strikes the earth?

In summary, the conversation discusses the effects of lightning strikes on the Earth and why we do not receive a shock when in an overload with earthing. It is explained that lightning neutralizes the voltage difference between clouds and Earth, while fault currents from overloading go back to the electromagnetic coil and can potentially flow through our bodies. The conversation also touches on the idea of creative thinking and considering one's surroundings.
write2diba
What happens when lightning strikes the earth? This is my first question.

Another question is that "Why do not we get a shock when in an overload,earthing comes into play?"

I should explain my 2nd question:::
I mean to say that when a short circuit or overloading takes place excess current goes into the earth.What happens to that current? Why don't we get a shock in our feet?

Engineering news on Phys.org
1- Lightning current neutralize and reduce a part of voltage difference between clouds and Earth which cause that lightning strikes.
2- Injected fault current to earth, go back to other side of electromagnetic coil which has produced short circuit emf via Earth conductance, if other electrical circuit same our body is paralleled with Earth impedance, flowing a piece of fault currents via our body ( called leg voltage) is possible.

--------------------------------
Creative thinking is breezy, Then think about your surrounding things and other thought products. http://electrical-riddles.com

Related to What happens when lightning strikes the earth?

1. What causes lightning to strike the earth?

Lightning is caused by the buildup of electrical energy in storm clouds. When these clouds become too full of electrical charges, the energy is released in the form of a lightning bolt.

2. What happens to the earth when lightning strikes?

When lightning strikes the earth, it can cause damage to structures, trees, and other objects in its path. It can also cause power outages and start fires.

3. Can lightning strike the same place twice?

Yes, lightning can strike the same place multiple times. This is because the path of least resistance for the electrical energy is often the same location.

4. What are the chances of being struck by lightning?

The chances of being struck by lightning in a given year are about 1 in 1 million. However, this can vary depending on location and activities.

5. How can you stay safe during a lightning storm?

To stay safe during a lightning storm, it is important to seek shelter indoors or in a car. Avoid open areas and tall objects such as trees or metal poles. If you are caught outside, crouch down low to the ground and avoid water sources.