What if there was a black hole in the middle of a nebula?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a black hole in the center of a nebula and the potential impact on the formation of stars. It is mentioned that large nebulas are often home to monster stars and the Pleiades cluster may have several black holes. However, it is also stated that black holes would not eat the nebula any more than a star would. The conversation also references a paper discussing the potential existence of a large black hole at the center of the Orion Nebula Cluster.
Matthew Knowles
I was wondering, if there was a black hole in the center of a nebula, then would there be a possibility that the nebula would be eaten from the inside out before any stars could be born? It'd be something interesting to observe over time.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Very possible, large nebulas are often home to some monster stars. Some of which live fast and die young, leaving a black hole in their wake. I'm fairly certain that I once read that there may be several black holes in the Pleiades cluster, which is located in a nebula. The black holes wouldn't eat the nebula any more than a star would though.

newjerseyrunner said:
Very possible, large nebulas are often home to some monster stars. Some of which live fast and die young, leaving a black hole in their wake. I'm fairly certain that I once read that there may be several black holes in the Pleiades cluster, which is located in a nebula. The black holes wouldn't eat the nebula any more than a star would though.
Fair enough, I'll have to read up on the Pleiades Cluster, certainly sounds interesting!

1. What is a black hole?

A black hole is an incredibly dense region in space where the gravitational pull is so strong that nothing, including light, can escape from it. It is formed when a massive star collapses in on itself.

2. What is a nebula?

A nebula is a large cloud of gas and dust in outer space. It is usually the birthplace of new stars and planets.

3. What would happen if a black hole formed in the middle of a nebula?

If a black hole formed in the middle of a nebula, it would begin to pull in and compress the surrounding gas and dust. This would cause the nebula to collapse and the black hole would continue to grow as it absorbs more matter.

4. Would the black hole consume the entire nebula?

It is possible that the black hole would consume the entire nebula, depending on the size and density of the nebula. However, there is also a chance that the black hole would not have enough mass to completely consume the nebula and would instead create a new system with the remaining matter.

5. Would the black hole affect the formation of new stars in the nebula?

Yes, the formation of new stars in the nebula would be greatly impacted by the presence of a black hole. The gravitational pull of the black hole would disrupt the normal process of star formation, potentially preventing new stars from forming or causing them to form in different locations.