What impact did the brutal conditions of early settlers have on the gene pool?

• Thread starter RufusDawes
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Genes
In summary, the conversation discusses the impact of slavery and forced labor on the gene pool. The initial journey to Australia and the USA was deadly and those who survived faced harsh conditions, leading to a high mortality rate. This may have caused a lasting impact on the gene pool, with a potential for natural selection to have occurred. However, it is difficult to distinguish between genes enriched by selection and those enriched by chance. The conversation also touches on the topic of African Americans being exceptional runners, potentially due to their ancestral history of slavery. Finally, there is mention of modern-day slavery and a recent case in England where homeless people were forced into labor.
RufusDawes
Slave and "servant" genes.

I've been reading about the shocking conditions experience by forced or "tricked" early settlers into Australia and the USA. They were more or less all slaves or experienced similar conditions.

Aside from the initial journey, which would have killed anyone weak, or with a weak immune system there was seasoning, followed by a brutal 7 years of constant work, beatings and diseases.

There must have been an element of natural selection which may not be evident in the current day populations but may well have been evident back then. I will mention that even if you were not a slave or servant, mortality rates on these journeys were still high.

I can't see how, with >50% (and let's face it likely as records back then weren't the best) of your population selected in this way (if you were not strong you just died) that there was no lasting impact on the gene pool.

I'd like to highlight, without having to write it down that the condition's experienced by servants and slaves were as horrendous as anything experienced by humans on this Earth ever.

What do the forum scientists have to say ?

Biology news on Phys.org

I don't know if any studies have been done to look for evidence of such selection, but one issue that would arise in such a study would be the difficulty of distinguishing genes enriched by selection versus genes enriched by chance through the Founder effect.

My dad was telling me about a tv show he watched recently about Michael Johnson, an American sprinter, who traced his ancestry but particularly from the perspective of why African Americans are such fantastic runners and he touched on something like this. I don't know how scientific it was since I didn't watch it myself.

I bet at this point a huge number of Americans and Australians probably have slave genes in the, since the population has increased so much from a relatively small base number. There were a huge number of slaves from every part of the world they could take them from, they didn't care what race you were yet.

This is very un-related but I read a report before saying there are more slaves on Earth now than ever before in history, (but a smaller percentage of the population) and even a few years ago the police found a farm in England where these people had kidnapped homeless people and forced them to work as slaves.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-14871318

What are "Slave and servant genes"?

"Slave and servant genes" refer to a controversial theory that suggests certain genetic characteristics make individuals more predisposed to servitude or lower social status. This theory has been widely debunked by the scientific community.

Is there any scientific evidence to support the concept of "Slave and servant genes"?

No, there is no scientific evidence to support the idea that there are specific genes that determine an individual's predisposition to servitude or lower social status. This theory is rooted in racism and has been thoroughly discredited.

Why is the concept of "Slave and servant genes" considered controversial?

The concept of "Slave and servant genes" is considered controversial because it perpetuates harmful and false ideas about the inherent superiority or inferiority of certain groups of people based on their genetic makeup. This goes against the principles of equality and diversity that are central to scientific research.

How has the scientific community responded to the concept of "Slave and servant genes"?

The scientific community has overwhelmingly rejected the concept of "Slave and servant genes" as pseudoscience and has actively worked to disprove and debunk it. Most reputable scientists and institutions do not support this idea and consider it to be harmful and unfounded.

Are there any genetic factors that can influence social status or behavior?

There are ongoing studies exploring the role of genetics in social behavior, but there is no evidence to suggest that there are specific genes that determine one's social status or behavior. Social status is complex and influenced by a multitude of factors, including environmental and societal factors, rather than just genetics.