What is a carousel? (Mechatronics)

In summary, a carousel is a type of amusement park ride that moves around in a circle with horses and seats. It needs some way to convert electrical power into rotational mechanical power and control the speed.
SpiraRoam

Homework Statement

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carousel_(disambiguation)

This may sound like a ridiculous question, but I'm required to do a presentation on mechanical aspects of mechatronics - specifically explaining what a carousel is. However, the internet doesn't seem to know what one is in electrical engineering either.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've looked on lots of websites and consulted three mechatronics book from my reading list but I can't locate a definition anywhere.[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carousel

Do you mean the amusement park ride? It goes around in a circle with horses and seats. It could also be just a unit that spins, such as for rotating trains or cars.

From an engineering standpoint, it needs some way to convert electrical power into rotational mechanical power and control the speed.

Haha, I wish it was the amusement park ride!

So is it a mechanism that converts electrical power into rotational mechanical power, and vice versa? I assume it's comprised of gears, belts, links and joints as well as a motor of some sort?

I'm fairly sure its just a generic term for a piece of equipment that moves items around and completes its path. Assuming this is for a project, I would pick a specific type, define it, then do your project on that. Or tell your proffesor "Hey this is a very generic statement, I'm adding these constraints" and see what they say.

https://www.google.com/search?q=man...mN_XAhVG1CYKHXzRCj0Q_AUICygC&biw=1440&bih=763

Likes Nidum
Thanks alot. 'Manufacturing', 'motorised' and 'industrial' search terms seem to be producing better webpages now. I need to:

- Provide Schematic of the chosen part
▪ Model the mechanical behaviour
▪ Explain the working principle
▪ Identify the different part of the system
(links, joints, gears, etc.)
▪ Give details on the material used and the
- Highlight the manufacturing process

"Carousel" also applies to material handling equipment. One variant of the design is a series of hanging multi-tier storage racks set on a motorized overhead track conveyor. It provides high-density material storage with a single access point.

Google search for either assembly Carousel or Carousel assembly

Several million hits and many pictures!

(I've done some Electrical design work on that style machine, it is a quite common design.)

If you know what a Lazy Susan is, or a turntable, a carousel is very similar with parts or tooling usually arrayed around the periphery.

Last edited:
What is a carousel? (Mechatronics)
I'm not sure if this is what you're after, but carousels are used a lot in CNC machining... for tool changing.

Likes Nidum
OCR said:
I'm not sure if this is what you're after...
Lol, and maybe you shouldn't... go there ! . o_O

Likes Tom.G

1. What is a carousel?

A carousel is a type of amusement ride or attraction that consists of a rotating circular platform with seats or vehicles for people to ride on. It is also known as a merry-go-round.

2. How does a carousel work?

A carousel typically operates using a motor or engine to rotate the platform in a circular motion. The seats or vehicles are attached to the platform and move up and down as the platform rotates.

3. What is mechatronics in relation to carousels?

Mechatronics is a field of engineering that combines mechanical, electrical, and computer systems to create functional and efficient machines. In relation to carousels, mechatronics is used to design and control the movement and speed of the platform and seats.

4. What are the different types of carousels?

There are several types of carousels, including traditional carousels with horses or animals, music carousels with a band organ, and modern carousels with themed vehicles or other objects for riders to sit on.

5. Is riding a carousel safe?

Riding a carousel is generally considered safe as long as proper safety precautions and maintenance are followed. However, riders should always follow any safety instructions and guidelines provided by the ride operator.