What is a Negative Voltage Regulator and How Does it Work in Audio Amplifiers?

In summary, the conversation discussed the need for a voltage regulator for a power supply project, specifically a positive output at around 40v. It was mentioned that a zener diode and emitter follower can be used, but it is not the most efficient method. The conversation then shifted to the topic of negative voltage regulators and their purpose in audio amplifiers. The LM723 and LM317 regulators were recommended, and it was emphasized that a solid DC source is needed to provide the necessary voltage and current.
Tesladude
So for a power supply project I need a voltage regulator giving me a positive output at around 40v.
Obsessively you can not buy these, So i am useing a circuit which consists of a resistor, npn transistor, and zener diode. the positive input goes to the collector of the transistor and through the resistor to the base of the transistor, and a zener diode of 39v is on the base to ground. Then my output is the emitter. This works fine, but...

As some of you may know I do a lot in audio and need a negative voltage regulator for the split audio power supply, is there a modification I need to do to make this the same thing just as a negative voltage regulator?

Also what the heck does a negative voltage regulator do anyway? I understand a positive obsessively but am not sure about the negative.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Tesladude said:
So for a power supply project I need a voltage regulator giving me a positive output at around 40v.
Obsessively you can not buy these

LM723, positive voltage regulator (linear)

Also what the heck does a negative voltage regulator do anyway?
If you have a negative voltage supply and it varies a bit, the regulator delivers you part of that, but fixed at a steady value. A handy circuit to have. :smile:

Not much different from how the positive voltage regulator works, really. :wink:

Last edited:
LM317 can be had for 57 volts

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Texas-Instruments/LM317HVT-NOPB/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMug9GoBKXZ75%252bmFNJYHX7LMu0gFc3QRd28%3d

there are lots of high voltage regulators.

negative voltage regulators regulate a negative voltage relative to ground. -40V in, -12v Out, for example. You can't just hook -40V into a positive regulator. (can't take the input below ground without destroying it --- look at the absolute max specs for the input voltage range)

Last edited by a moderator:
do you have a variable negative regulator? also will this give me 3a of current.

The info you guys have given me helps but my first question was never answered, do you guys know?

You didn't say 3 amps. Any other secret specifications?
Using a zener diode and emitter follower is sloppy. google "lm317 current booster" for a better controlled supply architecture. You can use any regulator. I'll let you figure out the negative supply stuff.

that helped thanks

Nagative Voltage Regulator

The Negative regulated power supply provides for the negative half cycle of a the audio sine wave. It is typical for audio amps to be powered by positive and negative supplies to produce high fidelity reproduction.
An LM723 is typically a 10 pin positive regulator with an output current of 150mA...it is used with lots of peripheral components to make fine precision power supplies.
If you have a solid dc source that provides +40V and -40V with respect to common you can use positive and negative 3 terminal regulators with some peripheral components to provide the voltage and current that you need.

1. What is a negative voltage regulator?

A negative voltage regulator is an electronic circuit that is used to regulate and maintain a constant negative voltage output, regardless of any changes in the input voltage or load. It is commonly used in electronic devices to provide a stable negative voltage supply.

2. How does a negative voltage regulator work?

A negative voltage regulator works by using a feedback control mechanism to adjust its output voltage. It compares the output voltage to a reference voltage and makes necessary adjustments to maintain the desired output voltage.

3. What are the benefits of using a negative voltage regulator?

One of the main benefits of using a negative voltage regulator is that it provides a stable and constant negative voltage supply, which is essential for many electronic devices to function properly. It also helps protect the device from any fluctuations in the input voltage.

4. What are some common applications of negative voltage regulators?

Negative voltage regulators are commonly used in electronic devices such as audio amplifiers, data converters, and power supplies. They are also used in automotive and aerospace industries for various applications.

5. Are there any potential issues with using a negative voltage regulator?

One potential issue with using a negative voltage regulator is that it can generate heat, which can affect the efficiency and lifespan of the device. It is important to choose the right regulator for the application and ensure proper heat dissipation to avoid any issues.