What is a "rotating worldline"?

• I
  • Thread starter etotheipi
  • Start date
In summary, the concept of a "rotating worldline" is often used in the context of observers and their frames of reference. It can refer to a non-inertial observer rotating their spatial basis vectors within a 3-dimensional hypersurface, or an observer with non-zero 4-acceleration. Another interpretation is the worldline of a rotating object, where the worldlines of its components follow a helical shape. However, there is some confusion and disagreement over the use of this terminology, as a worldline itself is a static set of events in spacetime and cannot physically rotate.
etotheipi
[Moderator's note: spin off from another thread due to topic change.]

robwilson said:
includes rotating worldlines, which are accelerating

I wondered if somebody could explain what "rotating worldline" means?

- For the simple case of inertial observer, I imagine constant temporal basis vector ##\mathbf{e}_0 = \mathbf{u}## which is tangent to the worldline (which would just be, a geodesic/"straight line" through the spacetime), and spatial basis vectors in fixed orientations w.r.t. this ##\mathbf{e}_0##. No rotation anywhere, here.

- You could alternatively have an observer moving at constant 4-velocity ##\mathbf{e}_0## but rotating his spatial basis vectors within a 3-dimensional hypersurface, i.e. ##\mathbf{e}_i(\tau) = R_{ij}(\tau) \mathbf{e}_j(0)##, which constitutes a rotating frame.
- You could alternatively have an observer with non-zero 4-acceleration, so his temporal basis vector ##\mathbf{e}_0 = \mathbf{e}_0(\tau)## is now also a function of the arc-length parameter.

In the vein of the last point, I could imagine two separate worldlines "rotating around each other" in a sort of helix.

But I don't know what it would mean for a "worldline to rotate". Wouldn't it be better to instead say the basis vectors carried by the observer are rotating?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
etotheipi said:
Besides the point, but wondered if somebody could explain what "rotating worldline" means?

- For the simple case of inertial observer, I imagine constant temporal basis vector ##\mathbf{e}_0 = \mathbf{u}## which is tangent to the worldline (which would just be, a geodesic/"straight line" through the spacetime), and spatial basis vectors in fixed orientations w.r.t. this ##\mathbf{e}_0##. No rotation anywhere, here.

- You could alternatively have an observer moving at constant 4-velocity ##\mathbf{e}_0## but rotating his spatial basis vectors within a 3-dimensional hypersurface, i.e. ##\mathbf{e}_i(\tau) = R_{ij}(\tau) \mathbf{e}_j(0)##, which constitutes a rotating frame.
- You could alternatively have an observer with non-zero 4-acceleration, so his temporal basis vector ##\mathbf{e}_0 = \mathbf{e}_0(\tau)## is now also a function of the arc-length parameter.

In the vein of the last point, I could imagine two separate worldlines "rotating around each other" in a sort of helix.

But I don't know what it would mean for a "worldline to rotate". Wouldn't it be better to instead say the basis vectors carried by the observer are rotating?
You can also construct rotation-free tetrads along arbitrary time-like worldlines of an observer using Fermi-Walker transport. A locally inertial observer must be freely falling, i.e., move along a time-like geodesics, and local inertial rest frames are constructed via the corresponding Fermi-Walker (i.e., non-rotating) transported tetrads (with the four-velocity as the temporal tetrad). In this case the Fermi-Walker transport is the same as parallel transport.

• Informative
Likes etotheipi
etotheipi said:
It seems like a nonstandard use of terminology. Unless he (the one who used it) explains what he means, there is no point worring about it.

Likes vanhees71 and etotheipi
etotheipi said:

I think it's just a confusion, at least in the particular case quoted.

Likes vanhees71 and etotheipi
martinbn said:
It seems like a nonstandard use of terminology. Unless he (the one who used it) explains what he means, there is no point worring about it.
The notion seems weird to me. Hopefully someone can elaborate on it, but if a worldline is the history of an object through spacetime, how can it rotate? Unless he means the path is a helix?

Likes vanhees71
Believe PBS Spacetime had a video on this within the past few months and the paths were both a helix.

etotheipi said:
It very likely means the worldline of a rotating object, which might not itself be helical, but the worldlines of its components are, kind of like the strands of a twisted rope follow a helical shape despite it being a straight rope.

A worldline itself is a static set of events in spacetime, and as such does not move, sort of like the line left by a Bizzy Buzz Buzz toy pen (are you old enough to remember those?).

Halc said:
It very likely means the worldline of a rotating object, which might not itself be helical, but the worldlines of its components are, kind of like the strands of a twisted rope follow a helical shape despite it being a straight rope.
Strictly that would be a worldtube. There's a (2+1)d Minkowski diagram that nearly illustrates what you are talking about in this post. That's actually a train on a circular track, so it's a 2d circle and hence a (2+1)d cylindrical shell on the diagram. A solid disc would be a (2+1)d solid cylinder on the diagram and would look like your rope analogy.

"Rotating" is always a bit vague. I don't think it applies to worldlines, but a region of space, which involves a worldline and some neighborhood of the worldline, not just the worldline itself.

One phrase I've seen in the literature that of the zero angular momentum observer, aka ZAMO, which is different than a worldline. In terms of tetrads, tetrads that are Fermi-Walker transported are often informally described as non-rotating.

Sometimes "rotating" is used in a different sense than the ZAMO, though. This sort of issue arises frequently in the Kerr space-time.

1. What is a rotating worldline?

A rotating worldline is a concept in physics that describes the path of an object as it moves through space and time. It takes into account the rotation of the object as well as its motion through space.

2. How is a rotating worldline different from a regular worldline?

A regular worldline only takes into account the linear motion of an object, while a rotating worldline also considers the rotational motion of the object. This means that a rotating worldline takes into account the object's orientation and angular velocity as it moves through space and time.

3. What is the significance of a rotating worldline?

A rotating worldline is significant because it allows us to better understand the motion of objects in our universe. It helps us to predict and explain the behavior of rotating objects, such as planets and stars, and can also be applied to other phenomena such as the rotation of galaxies.

4. How is a rotating worldline represented?

A rotating worldline is typically represented graphically as a curved line on a spacetime diagram. The curvature of the line represents the rotational motion of the object, while the slope of the line represents its linear motion.

5. What are some real-life examples of a rotating worldline?

Some examples of rotating worldlines in everyday life include the rotation of the Earth on its axis, the orbit of the Moon around the Earth, and the rotation of a spinning top or gyroscope. In astrophysics, rotating worldlines are used to describe the motion of planets, stars, and galaxies in the universe.